Smartware Software Updater download - can't see it

I have Windows 10. I open the app on my notebook and am prompted to update the WD software. I click on download Windows WD Smartware Software Updater. A 40MB download file is identified as WD Smartware Installer 2.4.12.1.zip. I open it. I see a WD Smartware Installer.exe file. I open it. Install…,.restart. Same loop of events recurs. At no time have I seen an Updater file, which the update WD page instructs me to locate and follow instructions. What is happening ? Is the Updater file just incorrectly identified ? Are the instructions incorrect ? It appears I have not updated. If I had, would the software not confirm this when I tried to update ? I am not a technophobe but also not a geek. Please keep helpful responses in the realm of the real world. i.e. please don’t do techy speak. Thanks, in anticipation, for any help. Be it from other purchasers/users of this equipment or even from WD themselves, ( wouldn’t that be nice ).

It would be best to start from scratch and install the latest version of the app directly from WD’ site. Uninstall WD SmartWare from your list of programs, then install the update directly. You do not need the base program if you install the version in the following link:

I am having the same problem as WDFoy1. Every time I boot my computer I am informed that there is an update available for WD Smartware. I click on ‘Update Now’ and download and install the update. The next time I boot the computer the notification process repeats.

Per your suggestion, I uninstalled WD SmartWare, downloaded the updated install package from your link and installed the software.

During the installation process I get messages that the following files cannot be found in the expected locations: WD SmartWare Setup (x64).msi and WD Quick View Setup.msi

I searches my entire system for those files. I found both files with today’s date in Program data/Package Cache. However, when I point the installer to those 2 files I get a message saying that they are not valid installation packages. I ‘Cancel’ my way out of the message windows and the installer seems to complete the installation. WD SmartWare appears to work; however, I still get the update available notice at every reboot. WD Quick View does nothing; I’m not sure that it ever did.

My OS is Win 10
WD SmartWare version updating to is 2.4.12.16.16
WD SmartWare running version per the ‘Help’ tab is 2.4.12