SmartWare Backup Status?

I’m using Western Digital’s SmartWare to run my backups but other than “spot-checking” to see if selected files have been backed-up I can’t find anywhere in the SmartWare software that tells me if back-ups are running as they should and if any files were skipped for some reason. Am I overlooking something or is there really not a way to see this?

Every other back-up software I’ve used has some sort of log that tells me whether the back-up ran, how many files were backed up, whether files were skipped, and so on. Is there really no way to see the backup status? If so I’m going to have to get rid of this software and use some other backup software because I can’t imagine trusting a backup system where I can’t easily check and make sure it’s working.

Did you create a backup schedule and time? Have you looked at that and checked to see if they completed. I have mine set up to do backups two times each week on Monday and Friday mornings. See image below.

You can find out more information about setting up and using the WD SmartWare by clicking on the Help tab or going to the User Manual.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Thanks! I tried to find the answer to my question in the manual but evidently I overlooked the part where it talks about that. I’m backing up multiple hard drives and have specific files that I’ve included and excluded and the backup is set to run every day, so I’ve got a fairly carefully planned back-up system in place, I just was having trouble finding where to see the back-up status. So thank you for your help.

Glad that helped. I know it works because my desktop hard drive went out a couple of weeks back and I had to have it replaced. Thanks to my My Cloud I was able to retrieve everything. While it took a while to move everything back to my desktop it was worth it.

Posted by,
cat0w (USA)

Another resource is the log file created during the backups. For a MS Windows system it should be in C:/Program Data/Western Digital/Logs/WDBackup. The log for each backup is appended to the file and there are lots of entries and sometimes the entries are quite criptic. You can use Notepad to open the log files.

Thanks RalphG. Good to know about the log file. It would be nice if it weren’t quite so cryptic but it’s very helpful to know that it’s there.