Setup for Windows Offline Availability

I have two NAS on my home network.   One a DLINK DNS-320 which is getting older and the other a WD My Cloud Mirror in preparation for the eventual failure of the DLINK unit.  I use the Windows available offline feature to automatically backup folders between the PC and NAS.   This is worked fine for years with the DLINK unit.

I have setup the WD unit and mapped drives to same PCs in preparation for the move and copied the data from DLINK to WD, but when I go to setup the synch relationship on the WD drive map, the “Always available offline” link is not visible on the WD drives.   

I asked WD support and they replied that WD unit was not designed to support this which means my investment in moving to WD was a mistake.

I am hoping someone has the knowledge to tell me what to do to enable this function for the WD NAS so my purchase will not be a wasted one.   I would appreciate any help that is available.

Hello garrycjackson, see if the following link helps. 

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_8-files/always-available-offline-does-not-appear-in-menu/074e3afa-1e46-4c28-848b-123225271ce3

This link is for people who don’t have Offlien Availability working.    Mine is working.   I can set it up on my DLINK NAS just fine.   I can not set it up for the WD NAS.

Bump!

Garry is indeed not the only one with this issue. I’m experiencing the same issue.

Purchased the new my cloud mirror to replace the old 1tb mybook world edition.

Running a small setup of computers in a small LAN configuration and offline files has been working with the mybook without issues, come time to replace and upgrade and I can’t get it working with the my cloud mirror for the life of me.

I can right click > make available offline on any of the folders on the mybook, but when browsing to the my cloud the make available offline option is missing.

Latest firmware on the mycloud.

Tried creating a different share, with a different users attached to it instead of the public share - no change

Tried disabling and re-enabling offline files - no change

Tried enabling/disabling many different network options in the admin interface on the my cloud - no change

Tried restarting a lot between all the little network changes, still nothing.

Has $450 just been wasted?

1 Like

Please see: https://community.wd.com/t/wd-ex4-hardware-firmware-support-for-windows-always-available-offline-feature-for-laptop-users/67492/7

shame really, i use two WD units, DL2100 and PR2100 both are not providing this option, but the MY Cloud 2TB can!!!

It´s not a final solution, but maybe there’s a temporary way around the problem … with the following steps:
1 - map a network drive - so that the NAS folder gets a permanent address on the computer;
2 - set a folder on the computer to mirror the mapped folder of the NAS; and
3 - use the ROBOCOPY command, from windows to permanent mirror the two folders above. It seems to me that ROBOCOPY has parameter to monitor changes permanently, after the initial mirroring, and continue to update the changes.
anyway, good luck.