Security Concerns - Scary Alerts

Recently, I started receiving alerts from my Comcast/Xfi router reporting the results of security operations taken to protect my network. The only device mentioned each week as needing attention is the My Cloud device. The alerts reflect unauthorized attempts to access the device and that there are open ports exposed. Here are examples of the warnings I have been receiving.

Device content loaded

MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0

threat Misc Device

Unauthorized Access Attempt

4 Require action

1 of 1

Here’s What’s Happening

There were unauthorized attempts made to access MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0. Close all unused, open ports to better protect this device. We’ve blocked 4 of these threats this week.

Learn More About This Threat

Help Me Fix It

Check Other Threats

Device content loaded

MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0

threat Misc Device

IP Reputation

1 Requires action

1 of 2

Here’s What’s Happening

There was an attempt made to access MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0 from a known malicious source. We’ve blocked 1 of these threats this week.

Help Me Fix It

threat Misc Device

2 Require action

2 of 2

Here’s What’s Happening

There were unauthorized attempts made to access MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0. Close all unused, open ports to better protect this device. We’ve blocked 2 of these threats this week.

Help Me Fix It

Check Other Threats

Device content loaded

MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0

threat Misc Device

IP Reputation

1 Requires action

1 of 2

Here’s What’s Happening

There was an attempt made to access MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0 from a known malicious source. We’ve blocked 1 of these threats this week.

Help Me Fix It

threat Misc Device

2 Require action

2 of 2

Here’s What’s Happening

There were unauthorized attempts made to access MyCloud-WCC7K6UF0AS0. Close all unused, open ports to better protect this device. We’ve blocked 2 of these threats this week.

Help Me Fix It

Check Other Threats

Is WD aware of these security issues and what can be done to address the security risks.

Thanks

1 Like

I am getting the same notifications from the XFI app. This is the only device on my network other than a video camera to get these notifications. It happens multiple times a day. I tried hibernating My Cliud but it woke itself up a few days later. Can’t find any info about how to set hibernation to stay on until I wake it. I called Comcast and they were useless. They told me to increase my Firewall settings but if I go to high I will have lots of other problems with other connected devices. Hoping someone out there can help both of us.

frabjoy, janoble, did either of you get any response? I am having the same issue, 12 access attempts in the last week!

Never heard anything from anyone. I suspect WD doesn’t want to admit they have a very serious security issue. I assume the switch from OS3 to OS5 fixes this, but I wouldn’t be surprised if it didn’t. I originally just wanted a plain NAS. The only thing this thing does is give you access from anywhere, at the cost of security. I may still buy a plain old NAS, or even an external SSD drive.