Safepoint question

So I’ve got my 1TB mybook running and *almost* everything seems to be working (itunes server is borked, but that’s probably as much apples fault as wd … another reason to stay away from apple products.  w/dlna I don’t need the itunes server anyway).  The last thing I want to do is back the mbl up to a couple of external drives that i keep off-site, and then rotate bringing them home to do incremental backups off the mbl.  it sounds like safepoint can manage this - each backup will be a seperate job, and i can manually update the backups when i plug bring them home.  what i’m wondering is, is the backup mountable and readable under windows, so i can go and grab individual files if i want, or restore it to a non wd drive by just doing a straight windows copy, or is the backup in some format that can only be read by doing a safepoint restore?

thanks in advance,

joe

Hi, the safepoint backup will create a folder that will store all of the files in the MBL, so yes, you can just explore that folder and see the files.

Alucardx23 wrote:

Hi, the safepoint backup will create a folder that will store all of the files in the MBL, so yes, you can just explore that folder and see the files.

excellent, thanks, i’ll give it a try tonight.  wonder how long it will take to back up ~370MB across ethernet to a usb-attached drive on my desktop?!

hmm, i may have accepted the solution too soon … my backup drive is an external usb-attached drive, connected to my pc.  when i try to create a safepoint on it i get an error message from the dashboard saying it can’t access the share.  is it not possible to create a safepoint this way?

You should be able to make the safepoint to an external USB memory, check the link below to review the steps, also try using another USB memory.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705065.pdf#page=92

never mind, i have a usb port on my router, when i attached the usb drive to that the mbl found it no problem.  this is a better solution anyway since i don’t have to leave my pc on during the backup.  i noticed some other flakiness w/the safepoint creation - it took a couple of tries for it to complete w/out error - but that may have been an issue w/the router and not the mbl.