Repairing... How long should it take, stuck at 80.69% for almost 48 hours now

Hi folks, first post. Have checked in here sporadically over the 4 years I’ve owned the Sentinel DX4000.

So here is the the issue. Drive damaged, storage degraded, installed the drive/patch to enable “not approved” HDD’s.
I purchased a drive that was identical in size an specs (I have 4 x 3 TB drives in it, so I got a WD Red 3TB NAS HDD).

I popped in the new drive and it was going smooth. Saying "Rebuilding … " on the LCD. I could see the percentage going up and up and up over the course of 6 - 8 hours or so. Then the percentage stopped increasing and it’s now been stuck on 80.69% for over 2 days.

So a few questions about this scenario:

1. How long should I expect a 4 x 3 TB Raid 5 to take?
  2. Can I reboot the Sentinel from the Dashboard to “kick start” the Rebuild again or should I absolutely under no circumstances reboot when it’s rebuilding?
  3. Could it be that it’s not “stuck” but it just won’t show me a 100% status update until it’s complete?
  4. If it is stuck and I can’t reboot, is there anything else I can do? For example: can I take out the new drive that I just put in, format it in a dock on the side and then try again? Or do I need to get a new drive.
  5. Can the Raid be “damaged” if I take out the drive and put a new on in there now?
  6. Can I loose the data on the other drives if I reboot or replace the new drive with another new one? I absolutely can not loose the data on it. (I have copied off some of the content to another HDD).

A big thank you for any help and tips on this situation. I just don’t know how long I should invest in letting it stand around before trying to do something to get it going again.

I know that people have had issues with rebuilding times (as I’ve read on this forum), but I haven’t read too much about Repairing (because that is a different thing, right?)

Update: I just realized that I did get a low space on C: warning, could that have anything to do with the fact that the Raid doesn’t finish repairing?

Thanks guys!

/Ragnvaldsson

Hi Ragnvaldsson ,

Maybe you should try contacting WD’s Technical Support about this.

To Contact WD for Technical Support

https://support.wdc.com/support/case.aspx?lang=en

Sorry forgot to reply. A proper reboot should not hurt anything and in the past others have reported that it showed complete after a reboot.

Oh, but in any event you should copy all of your data to have a backup even if it is working flawlessly. You should always have at least 2 copies of your data

Thanks for the replies guys. I did write WD tech support, haven’t heard back yet.

So I decided to rebooted the sentinel Gramps and the “Repairing … 80.69%” status message is now gone.

BUT I can’t connect to the sentinel via the Dashboard. It starts loading but just disappears after 30 - 60 seconds (I’ve never seen anything like it). If I connect via Remote Desktop Connection, I get all the way there but it just says “Please wait for the Windows Modules Installer”. It does not show the remote desktop, just stuck on that message on screen.

I can reach the folders and the files on the Sentinel via the network with file explorer but that’s it.

So we go from one issue to another, sigh. Any thoughts of what I can do now?

I ostensibly can not control the Sentinel. Is it possible to do a “hard reboot” with the power button on the front panel? How do I get the “Windows Modules Installer” to load, so I can get into the server? I can’t access anything to restart it or control it in any way now.

Remote Desktop Connection:

Dashboard:

I don’t think that it is worth the wasted time trying to fix this. If you have backup of the data. then you could initialize your disks and start from scratch. Do a complete system restore and make sure that the system is working properly before you restoring the data.

Good luck

Google says just wait. One person said 2 hours another 10

Waiting over night seemed to have done the trick. I could both open Dashboard and remote desktop connection this afternoon. I just did a rebooting again to confirm that I don’t have to wait as long to reboot next time and it rebooted just fine. It’s all running smooth again now. Sometimes for these Sentinels it seems like time and patience is the best remedy . Thanks for the help guys. Much appreciated.

Hi Ragnvaldsson ,

We appreciate your feedback.

Thanks!