After updating firmware I seem to be having troubles with iPad and iPhone access. I searched around and did a no format restore using the ssh method discussed in another thread. After the restore, I set the static IP again and under “Remote Access” the WD Live dashboard said “Ready”.
Iwas able to connect my Android with the WD2go app, but as soon as I did that, the connection status changed from “Ready” to “Connecting” and then it failed with the 31520 error code that I was having before the restore.
I’ve tried manually setting the ports (defaulted to “80” and “443”) so used these in my modem/router as well, but that hasn’t helped.
PS Here are some pics to hopefully help:
WD Live dash: