Recover root password

I seem to have forgotten the ssh root password. I changed it from default and have tried all combinations of passwords.

Is there a way to recover or reset ssh root password without losing data? Does factory reset restore the root password and doesnt delete data?

Thanks!

You could start by trying the reset button on the back of the unit. That resets the admin password, at least. I haven’t seen mention of the SSH root password in that context, but it might work.

Does the reset in the back of the unit touch the data? I have tons of data. I would hate to lose them…

Kieren wrote:

You could start by trying the reset button on the back of the unit. That resets the admin password, at least. I haven’t seen mention of the SSH root password in that context, but it might work.

According to the manual, the Reset button does not affect data.

Resetting the My Book Live Duo Device

If you have set a password or a static IP address on the My Book Live Duo dashboard and

have forgotten it, pressing the reset button while the device is powered up resets the

password to the default value of none and to default IP settings. Resetting does not erase

your files.

However, it should be remembered that the Factory Restore in the Dashboard will ERASE ALL DATA!

Quick Factory Restore formats the drive. Full Factory Restore secure erases the drive.