Reconnect Passport

Is someone available to help me reconnect my WD Passport External Hard Drive?

I have a Windows 7 OS

I disconnected my passport several years ago because Acronis kept malfunctioning, I wasn’t able to fix it. I hired several techs over the years. I could never keep it running. I finally gave up. I would like to reconnect my passport without Acronis - is that possible? Is it possible to setup Windows to automatically backup to the Passport? 

It has my entire computer backed up on it, but the files are old. Should I format the passport to erase the files? Should I do a quick format or a full format that checks for bad sectors? Or should I just leave them alone? I did right click on the passport icon, it did give me the option to format, but I didn’t know what the results would be so I didn’t do it. I was concerned I might format my own computer. I did delete two files that I knew I didn’t want. They are sitting in my recycle bin. Should I delete the files individually rather than format? What concerned me about deleting these files is their name. One said Windows 7 and the other had my network name. There are also two others.  

My computer recognized the passport external hard drive. I turned the computer off. plugged it in, then turned it back on. It showed up in the lower taskbar. I clicked on it, it took me to the Passport folder.  The computer didn’t ask to download any drivers. Do I need to download any software or update any drivers?

I printed the Passport User Manual.

Thanks,

Hi Abbie, if the files are not important you can do a quick format to delete them. Check the link below for the steps. You can also right click on the Passport and select the quick format option. 

How to partition and format a WD drive on Windows (8, 7, Vista, XP) and Mac OSX 

If you have a Passport that is compatible with Smartware you can use it to abckup the files in your computer. 

Smartware Download

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/wdsmartwareupdate/

How to create a category backup using WD SmartWare