Recommendation on external hard drive please

Hi Guys.

Last time i was here i requested a 2T external hard drive that sleeps when not in use.

I ended up with the Elements hard drive.

It does not sleep nor behave like I want.

It fires up with my desk top and goes off with my desk top.

Only sometimes inbetween that does it sleep.

I want a device that does not do this.

I want a external 2T hard drive for my MP3 music that only boots up when I click on it in MY COMPUTER or desk top short cut, then shuts down again after a few mins of non activity.

I dont want something spinning all the time on my desk.

Is there a simple unit out there that does this please ?

Cheers in advance.

Hello,

All WD USB drives have a sleep mode. If your Elements drive is not going into sleep mode it is possible some software might be accessing the drive on your computer.

confuseddotcom wrote:

Hi Guys.

Last time i was here i requested a 2T external hard drive that sleeps when not in use.

I ended up with the Elements hard drive.

It does not sleep nor behave like I want.

It fires up with my desk top and goes off with my desk top.

Only sometimes inbetween that does it sleep.

I want a device that does not do this.

I want a external 2T hard drive for my MP3 music that only boots up when I click on it in MY COMPUTER or desk top short cut , then shuts down again after a few mins of non activity.

I dont want something spinning all the time on my desk.

Is there a simple unit out there that does this please ?

Cheers in advance. 

It is not as simple as it sounds. Anything in your computer from a virus scan to a driver revision that triggers a read process will awaken your hard drive. Such a tight control option (Only awakening after a “click” action) is not I have seen. I your hard drive not going to sleep then it’s best to confirm there are no processes running that could affect it.

On the other hand, a WD My Book allows you to change the minimum time needed before it goes to sleep.