Random connection problems to Mac

MBL purchased March 2012 and networked seamlessly with pc (XP) and laptop (Windows 7) via ethernet.  In May replaced pc with Mac.  Time Machine immediately found MBL and appeared to work as required backing up to the schedule.  About a week ago - and I have not installed any updates or new software recently - I noticed that Time Machine was not connecting to MBL in a random way.  When this occurs I cannot get it to reconnect or even find MBL.  I can find the Public access to MBL as a guest, but trying to connect as a user it refuses my password which I know is correct because I wrote it down in two locations when the software was originally installed.

When I do look at the Public backup as a guest, I find that there are none of the new files and folders created since connecting the Mac.

I have looked at the forums and see that others have experienced some of these sort of problems, but really don’t understand the solutions offered or their relevance to be able to make use of them.

What’s going on please?

You can try to force TM to backup now and see if the files are backed up

1 Like

Thanks Wizer.

Have tried this and sometimes it works other times I get messages saying server not connected.

I have with technical helpline’s aid reset MBL and password - even the original password failed to give me access to “MyBookLive-backup” so I had no idea if random backups were completing.  As far as I can tell now, they have.

Having reset the MBL, I now have a permanent problem in that Time Machine ™ attempts to backup on schedule every time but now gives me the following message, which has just re-appeared even as I type this!

Time Machine could not complete the backup.

The backup disk image “/Volumes/TimeMachine/Neil’s iMac.sparsebundle” could not be accessed (error -1).

If I open TM Preferences as it attempts to find MBL, it will tell me how much of the MBL storage is available, so it must be “talking” to it in some way (excuse the non technical language).

If I “select disk” from same window, I am offered TM MBL-Backup and when selected the password dialogue is accepted and the TM Preferences window notes that a new backup will take place in 120 seconds, and so it goes on and on and on…

In researching the original problem I came across some very worrying forums concerning the error message noted above.  Has my MBL corrupted?  Is it faulty? Is this a TM / Mac issue?  Do I disconnect MBL from Mac, leaving it to network happily with my wife’s Windows & laptop and by a Time Capsule as the link http://macintoshhowto.com/software/how-to-set-up-my-book-live-as-a-time-machine-backup.html suggests?

Neil