Question re: Copying files from one USB drive to another

Hello.  I have a 3TB external drive connected to the rear USB port on my SMP.  Typically, to add new movies to the USB drive, I disconnect it from the SMP and plug into my computer.  What I’d like to do is connect a 2nd USB drive and use the SMP’s file management to copy media files from it to the 3TB drive. 

My question is: When I connect the 2nd drive, will the SMP automatically detect the media files and compile them into the Library (which I DON’T want it to do)?  My Library is enabled, and Get Content Info is set to Manual Only.  I don’t see a setting to Compile the Library manually only.  The first time I connected the 3TB drive, the SMP automatically scanned the drive and compiled the library.  Perhaps this behavior is only with the FIRST drive connected?

Thanks,

Jack

It will show different folders, like saying USB 1 and USB 2.

Keep in mind that the transfer rate will be much slower.

Thanks for the response, ragdexx.  I’m OK with it showing different folders in the Files view, but what I DON’T want it to do is to ADD the videos on the 2nd drive to My Library, as it did when I initially connected the first drive.  Once I’ve copied videos from the 2nd drive to the 1st drive, I’ll disconnect the 2nd drive.

Jack

CactusJack,  why wouldn’t you just connect to the 3TB drive on the SMP over the network and just copy the files that way?  That’s the way I typically add content to my SMP.

@CactusJack

This is how i do it on the Live Hub (which should be exactly the same as the SMP))

2 copy from from HDD (A) to HDD (B) with both connected to the SMP

*** Before connecting the HDD’s ***

• Disable the “Media Library”  Setup > System > Media Library > Off
  • additionally you can set (In the Same Screen) Get Content Info > Manual Only
  • Connect both HDD’s … they will take a little while to be recognized
  • Press the Red Content Source button on your Remote Control and select " Local Storage"
  • then select the “Source” HDD (A)
  • Go to Files … press “Option” button on remote and select either “Copy” or “Select Multiple”
  • for the files you wish to copy.
  • then press “Option” and you will be prompted with the " Destination" select HDD (B) and follow the prompts.

hartmri0502 wrote:

CactusJack,  why wouldn’t you just connect to the 3TB drive on the SMP over the network and just copy the files that way?  That’s the way I typically add content to my SMP.

I have done that, but it’s slower than drive-to-drive copying.  My SMP is connected wirelessly; I know hard-wired ethernet would be faster, but not an option in my setup.

Jack