Problem withMyBook 25EE

The problem drive, Identified by dlgdiag as WD My Book 25EE , a 4Tb drive, is very new, still under warranty, but misbehaves… sometimes will not spin up properly… continuing to cycle up and down…
2 points on this…
1/ Dldiag for Windows shows it as with a SMART error, but if tested using the short test, passes. However if the SMART info is then viewed… shows the errors and a FAIL… but then if retested to Short test, passes again.
2/ this drive when connected to a PC permanently, prevented bootup when it would not start, and then eventually after allowing bootup, the drive failure caused a corruption of the W10 installation to the degree that it corrupted the user profile
Questions are,

1. How can the short test over-ride bad SMART results
    2 How can an external USB drive have such a bad effect on a W10 installation.
    If you think that the corruption was a coincidence, and not the drive, explain how, with a clean install I had the same effect after testing for a few boots, over a couple of days,WITH the drive attached, and withoiut the drive attached, no problems manifested themselves.
    Just to refute the possibility of Malware/Trojans/ virus… no… not on a clean reformatted drive, and not even on the original which was scanned with Malwarebytes, and W Defender with negative results.

Hi,

You could refer to the following link: Error Code List for Data Lifeguard

This does not really answer question 1… the Smart view shows a failure, then the short test changes that… nothing on that link explains how one can over-ride the other.
I am a tech… have been fixing computers/drives for near 30 years, and as far as I am concerned, an error showing in one test should not be able to be discounted by another test.
That also does not answer question 2…
I will also say I tested this more than once… different sessions… and all gave the same SMART view result, and all were then overidden from Fail to Pass by the short test.