PR4100: wanting to migrate data within the same enclosure

Hi all,

I have a PR4100 (2018) with 3x6TB (64MB Cache) in a RAID-5 array. One disk crashed and replaced, then another disk crashed and replaced with the successor of the disks I have because the older disks aren’t available anymore. This disk has 256MB of cache. Volume rebuilt and everything seemed fine, until I updated the firmware and rebooted. After that, the volume couldn’t be mounted.
Problem temporarily solved by removing the third new disk; now I’m running a degraded RAID-5 array.

So now I’ve bought 4 12TB disks and I was wondering if anyone could tell me if this plan of mine would work:

The 6TB disks are in bays 1-3 (1 and 2 since I’m down one disk). I’m planning on inserting one 12TB disk in bay 4 and create a new volume of 12TB. Then I’m planning on copying everything over from Volume_1 to that disk (Volume_2) after which I’ll delete the first volume and insert the other 3 12TB disks in bays 1 through 3, then making it a 4-disk RAID-5 array.

Does anyone have any experiences in doing something like this? Would that work?

Thanks in advance!

Hi @rogiermaas,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask

I have done what I planned, though I used the JBOD-volume-disk to migrate it into a RAID5 array using two other disks in bays 1-2. Bay 3 is now empty and migration was completed successfully. It took a while, but in the end this worked.