PR2100 Drive Removal Prior to OS3 > OS5 Update

Hi all. :slight_smile:

Apologies in advance if my questions have been asked/answered before.

I have a WD My Cloud PR2100 NAS 12TB (2 x 6TB mirrored SATA’s). It’s currently running My Cloud OS 3. It’s recommending that I update to the newly released My Cloud OS 5.

Understandably it also recommends that I make a full backup of my data before updating to the new OS. LOL… backup my backup. I’d really like to backup my backup but the data to backup totals just over 5.5TB and unfortunately I don’t have any 6TB HDD’s laying around anywhere and I can’t afford to buy one either.

The PR2100 has had many firmware updates in the past and I’ve never had any problems after installation. But the new update is not just a firmware update but a totally new operating system entirely, isn’t it? Does an OS update have a higher risk of data loss than a FW update or is it the same?

I’m wondering… as the drives are mirrored, would I be able to unplug one of the drives, install the update and then plug the drive back in after the update has been installed? Is that an option?

Have any of you had problems when updating to the new OS 5?

Am I being a little over cautious?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

Andrew :slight_smile:

P.S. The backups stored on the NAS are not part of any business/company just my own pictures, videos, documents from home, but are still very important to me.

Hello,

Please refer to the following KBA article: Online User Guide and Solutions for My Cloud OS 5