Persistent changes to the WD My Cloud EX2 configuration

Hello everyone, new user here. After looking around for quite bit and not finding an answer to my problem I decided to register and post here…

The title summarizes the question - How can I make persistent (manual) changes to my WD NAS?

Longer explanation. The NAS has been entirely designed to be managed through the web interface, with GUI and all. Mostly this does the trick, but I want/need more flexibility than what I can do from the GUI. For example, I want one directory to be owned by user_one, but the subdirectory should be owned by user_two. Or I want to manage my own users/groups, including user numbers, but the GUI doesn’t allow that. Or… I want to activate NFS with specific options, which are different from the default options the GUI activates. And so on.

I tried doing everything manually (ssh into NAS, manual edit of files, etc) and that works fine… until I reboot. Or until a power cut forces the reboot. Then, everything gets wiped, and replaced with some default configuration. (At first I thought I messed up, but I didn’t…)

This means there must be a “hidden config” that tells the NAS how to restore the various system files at every reboot. And that’s what I want to change. I want to make my changes permanent. (And if that means I’ll lose the GUI configuration tool, that’s fine.)

All I was able to find is this post, which is exactly the kind of problem I’m looking to solve. But just doesn’t apply to my NAS…

Anyone knows how to do it? Help is much appreciated… if I can’t do this, I may just end up attaching the HDDs directly to my home server and configure everything from there, but would really like to avoid all the work.

This post apply to MyCloud EX2 Ultra

to changes become permanent you have to make them in the flash memory as follows:

(1) command to list file systems: blkid -o list

Example:
blkid -o list

device fs_type label mount point UUID

/dev/ubi2_0 ubifs (not mounted) bcc1ec20-26d5-4e7b-a117-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/ubi1_0 ubifs (not mounted) 0c20761d-2c7f-45e9-83db-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/ubi0_0 ubifs (not mounted) 9b5d6b0b-6f7f-4e22-8411-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/loop0 squashfs /usr/local/modules
/dev/loop1 ext4 (in use) da221d01-f726-4762-a91d-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/sda1 linux_raid_member (in use) 2ae86312-2ad9-7061-5a32-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/sda2 ext4 /mnt/HD/HD_a2 ca492ba7-e163-448a-a9e0-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/sda4 ext4 /mnt/HD_a4 2958dabe-263a-4ad1-862e-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/md0 swap 04ae01dc-fed1-42df-b630-xxxxxxxxxxxx
/dev/mapper/docker-8:2-17039366-pool
ext4 (not mounted) da221d01-f726-4762-a91d-xxxxxxxxxxxx

The configurations are in the /dev/ubi0_0 partition

(2) command to mount the file system: mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 [destination]

Example:

cd /mnt
mkdir memory

mount -t ubifs /dev/ubi0_0 ./memory/

cd memory

(3) the configuration file is config.xml

(4) do not forget to backup before you change
(5) make necessary changes with vi command
(6) save changes and unmount the filesystem

cd…
umount ./memory

(BE CAREFUL)
AFTER REBOOT THE CHANGES WILL BE THERE

Again, USE EXTREME CAUTION because making changes to any of the system files stored in the flash partitions can very easily BRICK YOUR NAS . You have been warned… multiple times.