Password protecting 2tb WD elements external

i am having trouble password protecting my new 2tb elements portable harddrive. I did not get any walk through when i connected it to my windows laptop.I also own a 1tb My passport Ultra , which i password protect using WD security.How can i do the same for my new harddrive.It’s one the features that made me buy a WD harddrive again.
thank you

Well, you might need to pay closer attention to what you’re buying. The WD Elements doesn’t have password protection.

What an irritating reply. Maybe he didn’t check because he took it for granted that it should have a password protection. The same as I did. Who would want a portable hard drive without any security protection? It’s such a basic feature. I’ll never buy any of your products again. What a rip off!

Well, I’m not a WD employee, just another user. So I’m not selling anything. :slight_smile:

But to answer your question, I want a drive without built-in security – NONE of my drives have that.

Why? Because where I need it, I do my own volume-level encryption so that if an enclosure dies, I can easily resurrect my data.

That’s not possible with drives that have hardware encryption – whether you enable the password or not, the data are encrypted on the drive.

By the way, the post you replied to was over two years old. There was a varied mix among most vendors of drives that did not force encryption, though it is indeed becoming less common now.

So, sorry if my reply was irritating, but it’ll mitigate irritation if you realize not everyone has the same requirements as you. :wink: