Password problem

I do hope someone can help.  I did not put a password on My Passport but it is telling me that my passport is locked and to enter the password to unlock.  Is this a common occurrence? What am I to do? I do not want to format and lose all my lovely stuff. 

Sorry mate, there is not solution at this time for this issue. You can try entering a wrong password 5 times and it will format the drive and make it operational again. Otherwise you will need to RMA the drive.

1 Like

One thing that occasionally works is trying to access drive form another account like the Guest account or a different PC. If thatdoesn’t work you’re out of luck.

Joe

1 Like

Reading around, this seems to be a common problem. The USB cable provided does not fit well - very loose.  This causes a glitch of some sort that results in a password problem and the loss of either money or data.

Is it possible after reformatting to erase or turn off the password feature so that this cannot happen again??  

Otherwise I may as well throw this piece of junk and eliminator of treasures right now.

If your cable is loose fittimg contact WD they’ll send you another one. Try a password until it prompts you to erase. In the future don’t trust important data to just one drive no matter who makes internal or external. A backup means 2 copies.

Joe

1 Like

Thanks Joe.

Again…

Is it possible after reformatting to erase ordisable the password feature so that this cannot happen again??  

Otherwise I may as well throw this piece of junk and eliminator of treasures right now.

Until now I have recommended WD as the best but I think this product is a lemon and will be spreading the word.

Kudos to you guys who make time to help those of us with problems.

Unfortunately it seems the solution lies with WD and perhaps they are too busy sitting back counting the profits to have time to help with this problem.

What a shame

just1jen wrote:

Thanks Joe.

Again…

Is it possible after reformatting to erase ordisable the password feature so that this cannot happen again??  

You can remove the password itself, but not the mechanism used to create the password since it’s physical drive encryption and the encryption system is a part of the drive itself.

1 Like