Passport Ultra WD Backup will not open

Just started a few days ago.

My Passport Ultra when I click on the WD Backup icon it won’t open.

The WD Security icon and Drive Utilities icon will open but not WD Backup.

It was suggested that I uninstall and reinstall the program but that did not make a difference. Have not installed any other programs recently that might interfere with it and I am running Windows 10.

Worked fine up until a few days ago and now it won’t open.

Any suggestions?

Thank You,

Maxx

Hello,

Are you able to access the drive manually?

Are you installing the latest version of the software from the WD Support site?

If not, please try that.

was your drive dropped recently?

Have installed the latest software and no, I have not dropped the drive.

I can open it manually.

Thanks,

Maxx

I am also having the same problem and the software does not seem to be backing up files anymore which I am very concerned about.

I have the WD My Book 4TB product on a Windows 10 HP Envy x360 laptop.

Under the “Download” section of the WD product page (https://support.wdc.com/product.aspx?ID=132&lang=en#WD_downloads), there are a variety of links to various Software items:

WD Drive Utilities for Windows
WD Security for Windows
WD Backup
WD Universal Firmware Updater for Windows
Acronis True Image WD Edition Software
WD SES
WD SmartWare
Data Lifeguard Diagnostic for Windows

Is there a particular item I should re-install? Also, should the old version be uninstalled first or just download and install the new version?

I have the same problem. I purchased a WD Easystore disk and it will not work. The WD support people are not at all helpful and keep sending me a link to the website to download the software. The sofltware is on my computer but it will not open.

If the software will not open and you are using the latest version from WD’s site then you may need to use a different backup program until a new update is released. Windows has a dedicated backup tool in the Control Panel. So does MacOS.

Steps are the same from USB drives once they are displayed.

WD Backup has worked fine for a number of years, today when I tried to open the program I got the error message “WD Backup has stopped working”. Here are the details of the problem from the error screen:

Problem signature:
Problem Event Name: CLR20r3
Problem Signature 01: WDBackupSettings.exe
Problem Signature 02: 1.0.5953.19621
Problem Signature 03: 57167eca
Problem Signature 04: System.Runtime.Serialization
Problem Signature 05: 4.7.3260.0
Problem Signature 06: 5bb7c313
Problem Signature 07: 11a8
Problem Signature 08: 2a
Problem Signature 09: System.Xml.XmlException
OS Version: 6.1.7601.2.1.0.256.48
Locale ID: 1033
Additional Information 1: 0a9e
Additional Information 2: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789
Additional Information 3: 0a9e
Additional Information 4: 0a9e372d3b4ad19135b953a78882e789

I also tried accessing the program from the task bar. It opened, but when I selected Backup Now, nothing happened. I am running Windows 7 pro 64-bit SP-1. I have made no changes to my system since the last back-up. And No, I have not dropped the drive. My PC recognizes my MyPassport Ultra and I can open it, but I do not know what to do once I get in there. It appears from the different threads I have found on this site that this is an ongoing problem that is not being addressed.

So, now what.

I’m having the same problem since MS automatically installed a Windows 10 “Upgrade” about 1 week ago. Passport Ultra is recognised by the PC but double-click on the Back Up and nothing happens - I can’t change the back-up schedule, run back-up manually or see when it last backed-up files. Have uninstalled/restarted/re-installed/restarted, but no change. Have also just downloaded recent (02/12/2019) WD update, and still no change. What next ??

Ok, so. I have the same problem. can’t open the WD Backup or Quick View utilities. Security and Drive Utilities work ok. I can access the files manually. I have just downloaded and installed the Feb 12th 2019 update 1.9.6941, but Backup still won’t work. Looks like the last time it did back up was back in June this year. As kempbc says… what next ???