Partition and format

Hi

I have the WD my Passport 1TB external hard drive. I tried loading some video files onto the external and it would not allow me to do so, I then tried formatting the HDD and then I got an error saying that windows could not finish the format. After that I tried doing the CHKDSK /f and CHKDSK /r but my PC gets stuck on 10% after I reboot it. I have also tried restoring the files with EaseUS with no luck. I have now tried the “How to partition and format your hard drive” Instructions to Format a Drive for Use with Windows or macOS it just says formatting where it is supposed to say “healthy (primary partition)”.
PLEASE HELP!!

Do you want to use WD software for auto backup or do Drag and Drop using Windows?

For WD software you need to download files shown in Downloads, which you reach from the tab at the top of this screen.

For Drag and Drop you might have to use WD Drive Utilities to restore the drive back to original.

Cliff

Hi Cliff, thanks for the reply. I want to use it for drag and drop. What utility will I need to download and how wil install it on the drive as it doesn’t allow me to do anything on it. I get an error now your drive failed due to a fatal hardware problem - something like that.

Hi Cliff, thanks for the reply. I want to use it for drag and drop. What utility will I need to download and how wil install it on the drive as it doesn’t allow me to do anything on it. I get an error now your drive failed due to a fatal hardware problem - something like that.
[/quote]

Hi,
You don’t need any WD software to do Drag and Drop. But it might be a good idea to have WD drive Utilities and use it to Erase the drive and start all over. If you have trouble doing Drive Erase, I’m not sure I can help. Post again and if possible include a couple of Windows Snip (available in Windows Accessories} copies of any error conditions.

If you get a good erase, then Drag and Drop is simply using Windows File Explorer to select folders or files on your internal drive and drag them to the External drive in the Navigation panel on the left. Copying is preferred, because some day that external drive may hang up again.

If the erase fails, I think you may have to contact WD Support and enter a Case describing the trouble. It may take a while for them to respond.

Good luck, Cliff

Thanks

I just bought My Passport Ultra 1TB but its write protected how can I open it and it say’s also need to format but when I tried to format it an icon will appear saying its write protected (read only) Please help me so I can use it now thank you in advance