Older Drive Not Accessible: Replacement Drive Options?

Hello,

I sent an inquiry earlier this week about this to the Contact Us at WD with no response thus far , so I figured I’d try this W Community as well.

I have an older My Passport external PC drive from around 2006 I believe (1TB size) that is running into what appears to be a typical My Passport problem where the PC shows the drive is no longer accessible.

I tried using a brand new WD cable, tried different laptops, and I still can’t get or see my files. The My Passport is recognized as a device by Windows, but that’s it. I tried renaming the drive as well, as a suggestion.

We suspect the drive is done. Short of data recovery services, I was hoping to try a different drive to see if that might work. I’ve tried finding on eBay a similar year/make, but all I’m seeing is the Ultra.

So my question gets down to knowing what drives might be compatible for such an old My Passport? The drive details are as follows. Any help or redirection would be greatly appreciated.

External casing:
P/N: WDBACX0010BBK-01
S/N: [Deleted-Privacy]
0912B R/N: C4B ABAHFA

Drive details:
WD10TMVW - 11ZSMS5 WD10TMVW 1.0 TB
WD P/N: WD10TMVW - 11ZSMS5

USB
R/N; 771814
DATE: 24 AUG 2011
DCM: HBMT2BNN
DCX: 1Z52S73M8
5VDC 0.60A
S/N: [Deleted-Privacy]

WWN: 50014EE10469517E

Hi,

I suggest you try a free data recovery software online to retrieve that data first.