WD Community

Old My Book 250GB USB 2.0

I have an old My Book Essential external drive that was being used to backup my Mac. The Mac is gone and all I have is PC. I can view the WD external drive but can’t access any files. I do see folders (installed an Apple driver - maybe not the right one). Running Windows 7. Is there any way to retrieve the files?

Thanks.

Hi here4real,

You can only recover files in Mac computer as your drive is formatted for MAC (HFS+ file system). After recovering the files in Mac computer you have to format the drive in exFAT file system so that you can use the drive in both Mac and Windows computer and transfer the data back to the My Book manually.

After that you would be able to access all the files in Windows computer also.

Are there any PC software products that can read the drive even if native Windows can not?

Hi here4real,

Unfortunately, we don’t have such software.

Support for Western Digital Hard Drives | Western Digital

Still Need Help?

Reach out to Support for more assistance.

Sign in to Your Support Account

Get up-to-date information about your products.

Western Digital Business Portal

Unlock benefits and tools for your business such as enterprise support, pricing and rebate tools, marketing, loyalty, rewards, and more.