No wireless setup icon

Hi,

I have a new machine and also bought an airlink 101 adapter to use wioth my WRT54G router.

When I plug the adapter into the WD player it’s as if it doesn’t detect it. i.e no light on adapter and when I go to network setup all I get is Automatic and manual. I believe I should get a wirelsss icon for the setup according to the user manual.

Am I missing something?

The airlink adaptor is not on the list of approved adaptors therefore the WDTV will not recognise it and you will not see it. The WDTV only works with certain chipsets as it has to have the driver info built in to the firmware. On a computer of course you can install drivers for any adaptor.

The list of approved adaptor can be found here. Beware that you must get the correct version as specified on the list. Others not on the list may work if they use the correct chipset in the adaptor.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/wdc.cfg/php/enduser/std_adp.php?p_faqid=3805

Thanks but I bought the airlink as it was recommended on the amazon site when buying the device.

See link below

http://www.amazon.com/Western-Digital-Network-ready-Player-WDBAAN0000NBK-NESN/dp/B002KKFP9Y/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1267891233&sr=8-1

I’m also pretty sure I saw this item on a compatibility list as well.

I have the same issue.  I bought the same Airlink 101 and the WD Tv Live HD, largely based on the review on Amazon.  I am not disappointed that I did.

The review is from October and the Airlink usb adaptor is no longer available (from Amazon at least), could be that newer versions have a different chipset or something else changed.

It does seem that it’s equipped with a generally supported chipset (Ralink RT2870) BUT there are several Belkin USB adaptors with the same chipset and not all work with the WD TV Live.  There are other factors involved and version numbers make a big difference.

That’s why it’s so crucial to refer to an official WD support list, as richUK says, and not some random claims on an Amazon review…

Quick question: what firmware version are you running?  

1.01.11 introduced wider support for USB adaptors, so if you’re running 1.01.00 or 1.01.01 you should consider updating.

The Amazon review is from a customer (and he was surprised). What Airlink 101 USB adaptor are you using.  There are a lot of different types. Some may work and others may not.

http://www.airlink101.com/products/adapter.php

Iwas using this  one AWLL6075 Wireless N Mini USB Adapter

I got a Buffallo WLI-UC-GN during the week and it works.

I am also using the latest firmware 1.01.24 firmware & running Windows XP

thank for all the replies.

Getoffthepot wrote:

Iwas using this  one AWLL6075 Wireless N Mini USB Adapter

I got a Buffallo WLI-UC-GN during the week and it works.

I am also using the latest firmware 1.01.24 firmware & running Windows XP

thank for all the replies.

Apparently as you found out the AirLink AWLL6075 uses a chipset (RTL8191SU) which is not currently supported by the WDTV. There is a request on the ideas forum for WD to add support for this chipset.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Ideas/RTL8191SU-wireless-chipset-support/idi-p/3226

I do note that the review on Amazon mentioned a different AirLink adaptor - AWLL6070 which has a different chipset and probably does work with the WDTV Live.

Maybe so but under the heading ‘Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought’

you will see the  AirLink101 AWLL6075 Wireless N Mini USB Adapter

which is the one I bought.

I and many others went by the 101 and wouldnt be aware of the ‘chipset’ thing but we learn by our mistakes.

thanks again

I looked at the solution that your link refers to.  Do I need both the recommended USB WIFI adapter and Router or can I get away with my current router (Linksys WRT110) and a recommended USB WIFI Adapter?

I am using the buffallo with a WRT54G and it works.

Don’t know about any other router, sorry.

The WD device displays only the wifi settings at newtork settings, when it supports your usb adaptor. the adaptors are very limited. i tried with 3 types of dlink (135 and 115), but only the 125 works (currently, it has a newer FW).

But with the DLink di-525 router, it could not connect with password. only when the encryption disabled.

i’m using the latest firmwares (WDTV Live 1.01.24). i hope it helps.

Getoffthepot wrote:

Maybe so but under the heading ‘Customers Who Bought This Item Also Bought’

you will see the  AirLink101 AWLL6075 Wireless N Mini USB Adapter

which is the one I bought.

I and many others went by the 101 and wouldnt be aware of the ‘chipset’ thing but we learn by our mistakes.

thanks again

That is just Amazon telling you what other things people purchased when they got the WDTV. They are not necessarily linked. If you look at all the items there are also:

http://www.amazon.com/Bodum-Chambord-Pavina-Thermal-Glasses/dp/B001B84EC0/ref=pd_sim_e_46

Bodum Chambord 8-Cup Press with Bonus Pavina Thermal Glasses

http://www.amazon.com/Viper-Black-Mariah-Steel-22-Gram/dp/B000UV57B6/ref=pd_sim_e_53

Viper Black Mariah Steel Tip Darts (22-Gram)

Nether of this items have anything to do with the WDTV and hopefully you did not buy those as well.:wink:

notageek wrote:

I looked at the solution that your link refers to.  Do I need both the recommended USB WIFI adapter and Router or can I get away with my current router (Linksys WRT110) and a recommended USB WIFI Adapter?

I do not use a recommended router and my wireless connection is OK. The correct USB adaptor is the most important item as the ‘drivers’ are built into the WDTV and you cannot just add drivers as you do with a computer. Any USB adaptor can be used with a computer as all the manufacturer has to do is supply a CD with the driver on which gives the operating system all it needs to know to recognise it. Hardware like the WDTV has to have the info built in and there has to be a limit on the number it can recognise. Luckily the driver is built around a chipset and not a particular manufacturer therefore as well as those on the approved list there are others which may work. Updated firmware can sometimes add more ‘drivers’ and greater choice