No Safepoints

Well, since the latest firmware update, I cannot maintain a Safepoint for the WD MyCloud 3TB.

I have attached a WD Passport Ultra (2TB USB 3.0) to the device, setup a recurring weekly Safepoint, and allowed it to create one immediately.

This morning, I looked at the MyCloud and noticed that it had crashed (I couldn’t even ping it).  So, I power cycled the device and after it booted, checked the Web UI.  My previously created Safepoint is gone.

This is the third time this has happened (i.e. previously created Safepoints are not showing up in the Web UI after restarting the device, even though the files are on the USB drive - I can ssh into the device, navigate to the mount point and see them).

This was all working before the last update.

So, for the time being, I am going to abandon using Safepoint and figure out another strategy to maintain a second copy of my files.

Hello,

In the interest of troubleshooting, you may want to reset the device back to factory default, as this will remove any residual configurations that may be causing this issue.

@HDKnows:

Could you be a little more specific on the remedy you are suggesting? Are you suggesting the reset from the dashboard that leaves the data intact and only resets the configuration data? If that is so, what all do you have to redo once that is done? Is creating a new beginning safepoint then required? Before embarking on a strategy, I would like to be sure I understand what all is required.

My safepoint updates were working fine until the latest firmware update.

Hello,

I am referring to the “Systems Only” reset. Check page #84 of the User’s Manual for more information.

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/library/UM/ENG/4779-705103.pdf

Yes, do the lightest factory restore. That leaves the data intact, but you will have to recreate the users access to the shares. 

Before you do this though, did you try to delete the current safepoint, any data on the USB disk and create a safepoint with a different name?

Thanks, Guys.  I appreciate the pointers, but I’ve already done a full factory reset and have tried a couple of iterations with Safe point (both over the network to a MyBook Live - which was also factory restored - and to the external USB drive).

I just don’t trust Safepoint, to be frank.

Some older post suggest that certain drives might have a version of SMB that is not compatible with Safepoints. When you attach tge MBL to the NAS directly, can it complete the Safepoint?

Not sure what that means (attaching directly), but I’ve never been able to complete a Safe point to the MyBook Live over the network.> If I format the attached USB 3.0 drive as HFS+ (WD Passport Ultra 2TB), I can complete Safe point backups just fine, but when often when I restart the MyCloud, the Safepoint is no longer listed (i.e. it says I have no Safepoints).

Did you choose the journaling option for the formating? HFS+J is a supported file system for the USB disk, per the user manual…

Not sure if the file system matters, but for the sake of it, did you try to format your USB disk as NTFS and start your safepoint against.

For what is worth, I have had Safepoint issues with the NAS that I could only solve through a light system only factory restore.

Etupes wrote:

Did you choose the journaling option for the formating? HFS+J is a supported file system for the USB disk, per the user manual…

Not sure if the file system matters, but for the sake of it, did you try to format your USB disk as NTFS and start your safepoint against.

For what is worth, I have had Safepoint issues with the NAS that I could only solve through a light system only factory restore.

My USB drive used for safepoints has alway been NTFS formatted and works just fine.