New WD My Cloud, first thoughts

Hello to the community,

I recently bought a WD My Cloud for personal use. Im a student to a foreign country and I travel a lot, and on every trip I had to pack 3 or 4 different HDD in order to have my data with me. 4TB for now in more than enough to store everything into a single HDD. Another reason that made me to buy My cloud is that I wanted a Network attached disk so I can access my data from any device at any time, even when I’m not at home. WD My cloud was the easy solution.

My thoughts:

• Transferring huge amount of data from the USB port to the WD through the Mac App was a headache.(No haven’t tried Lan transfer cause I would like to be done by the New year’s eve). My only way was through terminal which I hesitated a bit at the beginning, cause Its a brand you disk and I didn’t want to mess it up.
  • There is no indication about how many GB of data a folder contains, it only indicates the files. Its not rocket science, such a feature for most of us I think is really useful.
  • While I was transferring my data to WD, I couldn’t even load the UI page till the transfer is done. So what is gonna happen if I transfer files to 2 or more computers at the same time? The system will not responding?
  • Why we dont have the ability to install light apps like transmission and other apps that can’t think of right now Out-Of-The-Box? In my oppinion apps like that can make our life easier and give to WD a lot of credits. I know there is another way, but all my data are on that disk, if something happen…Im gone (2nd Backup disk, I know but I cant afford right now, maybe later)

Thats what I noticed till now, I still setting the system up and transferring data to it. But I wanted to share my thoughts with you and hear yours. I’ll keep updating the thread if I think something else.

Thanks for your time.

this is all very true… but you get what you pay for. My netgear NAS used java and a web browser was much faster in many ways.

if you are comforablr getting in with ssh

turn off these scanning processes at least temporaily

/etc/init.d/wdmcserverd stop
/etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd stop

or permenatly

update-rc.d wdphotodbmergerd disable
update-rc.d wdmcserverd disable

or lower the priority like I did

edit /etc/init.d/wdphotodbmergerd and /etc/init.d/wdmcserverd

it has  renice 0 -p $$

change it to  renice 15 -p $$

restart the processes or reboot the NAS

Kyriacos wrote:

Hello to the community,

I recently bought a WD My Cloud for personal use. Im a student to a foreign country and I travel a lot, and on every trip I had to pack 3 or 4 different HDD in order to have my data with me. 4TB for now in more than enough to store everything into a single HDD. Another reason that made me to buy My cloud is that I wanted a Network attached disk so I can access my data from any device at any time, even when I’m not at home. WD My cloud was the easy solution.

My thoughts:

• Transferring huge amount of data from the USB port to the WD through the Mac App was a headache.(No haven’t tried Lan transfer cause I would like to be done by the New year’s eve). My only way was through terminal which I hesitated a bit at the beginning, cause Its a brand you disk and I didn’t want to mess it up.
  • There is no indication about how many GB of data a folder contains, it only indicates the files. Its not rocket science, such a feature for most of us I think is really useful.
  • While I was transferring my data to WD, I couldn’t even load the UI page till the transfer is done. So what is gonna happen if I transfer files to 2 or more computers at the same time? The system will not responding?
  • Why we dont have the ability to install light apps like transmission and other apps that can’t think of right now Out-Of-The-Box? In my oppinion apps like that can make our life easier and give to WD a lot of credits. I know there is another way, but all my data are on that disk, if something happen…Im gone (2nd Backup disk, I know but I cant afford right now, maybe later)

Thats what I noticed till now, I still setting the system up and transferring data to it. But I wanted to share my thoughts with you and hear yours. I’ll keep updating the thread if I think something else.

Thanks for your time.

As another member posted disabling those 2 scanning daemons will dramatically improve performance.  As for installing additional light applications you can do that if you are comfortable with ssh and linux.  Keep in mind the hardware limitations of the NAS when picking and choosing apps.  As for additional user friendly packaged software Synology may have a better offering.  Synology is also more expensive.  Sometimes you get what you pay for.  For about 60.00 more than the 4TB HDD inside I got a NAS with bundled software that was not ready for production - LOL.  I also got the opportunity to beta test their v4 firmware release.  What an honor and privilege - all for 60.00 bucks.

Hey larryg0,

Thanks for your reply. May I ask what those scanning processes are used for?

I have implimented the last option, shal I leave it, like that or finish the data transfer and revert the changes?

I also downgraded the system to the V3 and Im trying to setup the system now.

Anyway thanks everyone for your comments, I took in mind every single post. If I have any other questions I’ll post them here. In addition if you know any other tricks to improve the performance please let me know.

Thank you guys!

Kyriacos wrote:

Hey larryg0,

Thanks for your reply. May I ask what those scanning processes are used for?

I have implimented the last option, shal I leave it, like that or finish the data transfer and revert the changes?

I also downgraded the system to the V3 and Im trying to setup the system now.

Anyway thanks everyone for your comments, I took in mind every single post. If I have any other questions I’ll post them here. In addition if you know any other tricks to improve the performance please let me know.

Thank you guys!

I believe updating the firmware (up or down) will undo your disabling the two daemons.  You can check running processes to confirm.

Personal opionion I would leave it at the lower priority unless they come out with a newer clean firmware.

If you go back to V4 I would redo the lowering priority

I have been trying to get a good answer on what these do, one appears to generate thumbnails of pictures, not sure the other one.

if you don’t add many images you could reset the priority, then wait hours to days till it settles down and it would probably be ok from here.