New update able read DTS SOUND

WHEN UPDATING THE WD ELEMENTS PLAY THAT CAN READ FILES DTS SOUND???????????????????????????????????

KNOCK IT OFF!!

With this response surely you work for WD, or else you can watch movies MKV with DTS sound files

Well, yes, I can play DTS files just fine! Because I bought a device that supports it, not a device that says online and in the manuals and KB articles that it does NOT support DTS. If DTS is so important to you that you resort to spamming a forum, why did you buy the WDEP? Did you not READ first? Impulse buy?

When I bought the WD Elements Play there is not movies whit DTS files.

Now what’s more are movies with DTS sound files. In addition to WD has already on the market new products that read DTS, so I can’t understand why WD doesn’t update the WD Elements Play.

… Because It is not licensed for DTS.

If there is no  license how you would explain that there is other products from WD read DTS???

We deserve a better answer about DTS? THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! EVEN WHEN HE IS WRONG…

XheroX wrote:

If there is no  license how you would explain that there is other products from WD read DTS???

Well, those products *are* licensed.   Says so right on the box.   The WDTV HD Gen2 and all the WDTV Live devices say “DTS 2.0 + Digital Out” right on the box.   The documentation states that DTS *IS* supported.

The WD MINI and the WDEP do NOT have such a certification, and the documentation specifically states that DTS is *NOT* supported.

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3590/session/L3RpbWUvMTI5ODk4NjQ3Ny9zaWQvQ3FpWVNRbms%3D

http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2698/session/L3RpbWUvMTI5ODk4NjQ3Ny9zaWQvQ3FpWVNRbms%3D

d-thinkerdotcom wrote:

We deserve a better answer about DTS? THE CUSTOMER IS ALWAYS RIGHT! EVEN WHEN HE IS WRONG…

Well, what Tony said is the answer about DTS on the Elements Play.  It’s not supported.  It’s not licensed.  And it never will be on the existing product. 

Like I said before, using the optical cable and a surround system, DTS plays just fine.

For me, the major problem is that 1/3 of my 720p MKV file, just don’t start.

I’m desperate with that! I’m not talking about the quality or the speed of the image, it just don’t start at all.

Should I send it to warrantee, or is it normal? My old WD HD TV never had this problem…

Anyone please help me!

True, DTS deserves proper surround system anyway, who wants crappy sound on the tv :dizzy_face:

Regarding your problem: can you post a name of a movie which doesn’t work for you (try recent one so I can easily torrent it ).  I have lot of movies and no problem so far, would like to try on mine EP.

@Kristijan

Sorry for taking long, but I Couldn’t answer before.

This release does not play in my WD EP: Red.2010.720p.BluRay.x264-SiNNERS

That’s one example, if you need more, just ask for it! I got plenty!!

Thank you so much for your attention

No problem, I’ll try it…

I found the cause, it is very well described on other forums, I copied the explanation and solution below. I tried with mkvmerge with your file and within few minutes it was ready and playable by WDEP.

Example:

mkvmerge -o new_file.mkv --compression -1:none Red.2010.720p.BluRay.x264-SiNNERS.mkv

Cheers

It is the Muxing mode : Header stripping. This is also called “header compression”. Though it doesn’t save enough space to matter.
For some reason the Matroska developers made this mode the default earlier this summer. It doesn’t work with most hardware players (including the EVA and also the WD Live).

You have to re-process the files to remove the header compression. This doesn’t hurt the quality at all, and is a pretty fast operation. If you are comfortable running command line tools, you can either use mkWDclean.exe (found at https://sourceforge.net/projects/mat…7.zip/download) or MKVMerge (found at http://www.videohelp.com/tools/mkvtoolnix)

The command line strings are:

mkWDclean input.mkv output.mkv
mkvmerge -o output.mkv --compression -1:none input.mkv

There are two other ways that don’t require opening a command line shell:

(a) You can use MKVMerge GUI, but it is tedious. You select every track (from the middle pane), select the “extra options” tab, and set “Compression:” to none. (blank is not good enough).

(b) You can download VID2EVA from http://vid2eva.lefti.net. This is a freeware video conversion tool that I’ve put together. After installation you right click on the MKV and select “VID2EVA” then “transcode audio”. For this particular file, it won’t transcode since the audio is already AC3. But it will remove the header compression.

kristijan wrote:

For some reason the Matroska developers made this mode the default earlier this summer. It doesn’t work with most hardware players (including the EVA and also the WD Live).

The Live / Live+ / Live Hub are unaffected by Header Compression…

Ok, I wouldn’t know, just copied from somewhere else. Anyway EP seems to be affected. I have no idea if it’s solvable in firmware update (if it ever comes), otherwise we have to correct it manually as described.

@ Kristijan

I can’t thank you enough, you really solve my problem!

After running the MKV tool, 100% of the movies work just fine (all 27), to bad that I already  deleted a few…

I hope that I’ll be able to help someone like you helped me!

To bad that I was crying in this site since October, and only now someone had this idea.

After this problem is solve the only remaining problem is the speed and steadiness of the image…

Thank you very much for every thing and lets pray for a firmware update soon!

fredein wrote:

After this problem is solve the only remaining problem is the speed and steadiness of the image…

Hi, can you explain better your kind of problem?

Maybe it’s the same I’ve noticed in this two days of WDEP owner :slight_smile:

Thanks

Hi,

what happens is that the image doesn’t “run” at the same speed always.

Imagine that you hold a camera and you slowly do a 360º. what I see is that there’s always some speed bumps, especially if it is a slow shot…

Is that what happens to you?