DTS in MKV working!?

Hi all, 

I had the issues with DTS encoded MKV’s not playing sound and found out that DTS is not supported by the Element Play.  I went the rout to convert the sound to AC3.

But, yesterday I got a fiber cable and connected the drive to my audio system and change the sound option to digital on the drive and the DTS encoded MKV’s are now playing with sound!  I verified this by clicking the option button and selecting the DTS sound track.

Please can someone verify this on their system?

That’s never been an issue; only that the WDEP does not output a DTS soundtrack as stereo via the HDMI cable.

Ya… the issue has always been that the device is not licenced to downmix DTS to stereo at any output.  (And without you paying DTS licence fees when you purchased it, WD can not legally add DTS downmixing, no matter how many people ask for it to be added.)

No licence is needed to pass 5.1 DTS through the optical – it’s always been available.

Same issues are coming up again and again and again …

Maybe new WDEP users should read/search the old posts beforehand.

Agama,  if you are using IE9 please visit the link below:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/Forum-Feedback/IE9-and-WDC-Forum-Compatibility/td-p/167170

Hi all,

I’m having issues with DTS encoded movies… all of them cannot produce sound.

I have an amplifier that can detect DTS soundtrack (via optic cable), however I’m not having much success like you guys.

Also, I cannot select the DTS sound track, only displayed the sound as “undetermined”.

There are so many issues with this player, I upgraded from WD TV Gen 1 with hopes that it can resolve my issues with some files I had, however now more movies are unplayable or play badly (I have issues with mp4 movies too).

Any help?

Ok… dumb question…

Even though the Elements Play has undocumented passthrough of DTS5.1 available at the SPDIF and HDMI ports, when the specs and manual for the device list “DTS - NO” under all the playback specs, why did you choose it for playing DTS movies as an “upgrade” for the equally-unlicenced Gen1?

If DTS was a concern, it seems like it would have made more sense to upgrade to a player that is licenced for DTS.

Well,

That Gen 1 version has some issues with some of my mkv files, now works ok for Elements Play.

However, nowadays, more movies coming out with DTS encoded… I didn’t read the box description anyways.

I wanted to get a Gen 2, but since Elements had a hard disk installed, thought it would be a better idea to get that.

Anyways, I’m not sure how u guys are able to pull off DTS sound via optic cable, wish someone can help me with this.

If you’re trying to use a Toslink cable to an A/V receiver, you need to make sure that the Audio Output is set to “Digital” in the settings, and not “Stereo”.

Hi again.
Sorry for the late reply and bothering u guys again.
I have selected digital at the amplifier settings, but still no dts.
I tried playing a dts DVD from a DVD player, it plays dts fine, so my amplifier should be ok.

Anyways, I tried updating the firmware, just to see whether it would help.
However, I have a new problem, I cannot update my firmware.
I followed the instructions given by WD carefully.
U guys think I can get my set replaced?

did u get a mkv file dts to play on ur wdep if so how

thanks

DTS will not downmix to stereo… it’s not licenced to do that.

What is undocumented, is that if you have a digital connection (either optical or HDMI) and choose “Digital” in your audio settings, then the DTS will be passed-through for your external decoder to decode.

Which means you need an AVR… pretty much no TV will decode DTS sent to it over connections.

I have the same problem, I want to watch MKV movies and I cant listen, I tried even to change sound to AC3 with a program, and it works in the PC, but not with the element play on the tv.

Does somebody know any program to change succesfully the sound to DTS to AC3? It would be better if I can conserve the audio 5.1…

Dont you know if WD is going to do something with this problem? or if there is any update that we can do to solve this problem?

I tried to play them with a fiber cable but I can listen only some of all, do you know why is that?

Thank you very much, and sorry if I dont write very well, I am from Argentina and I speak spanish