New total BackUp with SmartWare

No one was able to help me with my last question, so maybe I can phrase it another way.

SmartWare does an initial total Backup. From then on it undertakes incremental backups. I understand that.
But I can’t see anywhere in the WD Documentation how I do another new Total backup, rather than another incremental backup. Do I just delete (or copy somewhere else) all the files in the SmartWare folder on my My Cloud. I am reluctant to do this without some confidence it won’t totally mess it all up…

I am not sure why you want to do this, please clarify what you are trying to accomplish.

if you give smartware a new destination it will backup everthing you select. afterwards there is no reaason to send it files that have not changed.

now if you deleted a lot of files on the PC and want to remove them from the backup I can understand that, I would probaly just delete the files from the smartware backup as it is just a copy. or do a backup to a new loactaion then remove the old location

1 Like

Many thanks larryg0,

It is as you correctly guessed, what I want to do is : “now if you deleted a lot of files on the PC and want to remove them from the backup I can understand that”.

But I am reluctant to start manually deleting files in a back-up due to unexpected consequencies. So from your email I can create a new share (say SmartWare1), and backup to that. I can then safely delete (I guess) the share SmartWare and I assume it’s contents (the original backup) will be deleted. I will then be where I want to be.

The reason for keeping the backup as small as possible is that I then want to back up the My Cloud to a flash drive on the USB 3 port. Flash is expensive so I want to keep that file as small as possible.

Many thanks.