Deleting a backup in WD Smartware

I have 3 computers at home backing up to MyCloud. One of the computers refuses to copy new files, even though I get the “copying files” icon when I do it manually.

I assume that the fix is to start over on just this computer. Do I uninstall WD Smartware and then re-install? Or is there another way to delete the target backup on this computer and setup a new one?

Yes. Un-installing and re-installing WD SmartWare is the best method to restart the application. However, the files will still remain within your WD My Cloud and need to be manually erased. The files are usually within the dedicated WD SmartWare share unless specified otherwise.

Bear in mind this folder keeps all backups from all computers using the application, and as such a high level of caution is recommended in order to avoid deleting an incorrect backup.

1 Like

Is this the proper way to delete any backup?  In my case, I have restored a backup set to a new PC. I need to delete the original back from my Passport Ultra in order to free up space to set up a backup from my new machine.  I know I can just delete the files manually, but will that cause an issue with Smartware Pro?  Thank you.

BMS069 wrote:

Is this the proper way to delete any backup?  In my case, I have restored a backup set to a new PC. I need to delete the original back from my Passport Ultra in order to free up space to set up a backup from my new machine.  I know I can just delete the files manually, but will that cause an issue with Smartware Pro?  Thank you.

Welcome to the Community. With WD SmartWare Pro and a WD Passport Ultra, try formatting the entire hard drive instead of deleting the backup folder by itself.

2 Likes