New Release - WDTV Live Plus Firmware Version 1.06.34_B (9/24/12)

Never ending spinning circle. Total failure!  Will try the reset option though as posted in previous threads.

Ok, after 12 hours of spinning blue circle and the prior posts, I hit the reset button a few times and it rebooted fine with the new firmware in place.

Really really poor quality assurance testing there Western Digital, really really ordinary.

MAL MAL MAL !!! NO LO ACTUALICEN, Los videos en MKV tarda como 1 minuto en cargarse, los DVD’s otro tanto, no entiendo todavia como pudieron hacer una actualizacion tan mala, intentare poner la vieja version

-*-*-*-*-* NO ACTUALICEN EL FIRMWARE*-*-*-*-*-*-*-* 

BAD BAD BAD FIRMWARE

Well I am guessing only those with problems are posting.  I almost didn’t do the upgrade based on the posts, but the lure of VEVO was too great!:heart:

Long story short, mine works great after the update.  Tested Hulu, Netflix, local and network connections work fine.  Tried mp4, mkv and a few avi files (I dont have VOBs) all work fine.  My only complaint would be no Amazon On Demand wasn’t included!  :smiley:

After reading about some people having problems here, I decided to take the plunge anyway and give the new firmware a try. No spinning circle **bleep**, and the update itself seems to have installed okay.

A couple initial gripes about the new firmware:

1. Network shares are broken. I had them briefly at one point, but they went away (never to return again).

2. The new YouTube ui (LeanBack) is slow & laggy to the point of being basically unuseable.

Hopefully WD will address these issues (and others) in a timely fashion.

johnnyzero wrote:

After reading about some people having problems here, I decided to take the plunge anyway and give the new firmware a try. No spinning circle **bleep**, and the update itself seems to have installed okay.

A couple initial gripes about the new firmware:

1. Network shares are broken. I had them briefly at one point, but they went away (never to return again).

1. The new YouTube ui (LeanBack) is slow & laggy to the point of being basically unuseable.

Hopefully WD will address these issues (and others) in a timely fashion.

Why do people keep on assuming WD will fix anything? And how can ‘network shares broken’ be an ‘ok install’? WD has stepped into this forum once since launch, and it was to note that an Android app that they claimed was released, wasn’t. It’s finished, there will be no more updates, WD is a joke and I can only ask for everyone to ensure that this debacle is noted on various review sites / shopping sites, to prevent as many people as possible from purchasing WD hardware.

BargainHunter wrote:

Well I am guessing only those with problems are posting.  I almost didn’t do the upgrade based on the posts, but the lure of VEVO was too great!:heart:

Long story short, mine works great after the update.  Tested Hulu, Netflix, local and network connections work fine.  Tried mp4, mkv and a few avi files (I dont have VOBs) all work fine.  My only complaint would be no Amazon On Demand wasn’t included!  :smiley:

Do you stream your mkv files from a network share or locally connected hard drive?  It makes a big difference.  What are the file sizes.  What model are you using - Live or Live+?

I’m in New York with a WDABX0000NBK-00 using Live Plus. Played a  4.7GB MKV connected locally.  I had problems streaming MKVs way before the update so I haven’t done that in a while.  Will try it later. 

Youtube Leanback is a bit slow but it was also laggy before the update.  I didn’t expect Deezer to be gone, I listened to the top 10 charts every now and again.

apnea,

Obviously, the inability to access network shares is a very serious bug. When I said that “the install itself went okay”, I was merely referring to the fact that I didn’t  experience the Spinning Circle of Death that others have reported.

I’m as cynical as the next guy, but I have to respectfully disagree with you about the prospects of WD addressing the issues with this firmware. Given the seriousness of the bugs, I suspect that they’ll probably issue a maintanance update. I’ll bet you a dollar they do… :wink:

Same problem here with MKV and pretty much any video files (via SMB network share). Did a rollback to the previous version and everything works as expected again. Hopefully WD will fix this issue soon and bring out a new fixed firmware with the WDTV remote app capabilities, using the iphone app as a remote is really great.

johnnyzero wrote:

apnea,

Obviously, the inability to access network shares is a very serious bug. When I said that “the install itself went okay”, I was merely referring to the fact that I didn’t  experience the Spinning Circle of Death that others have reported.

I’m as cynical as the next guy, but I have to respectfully disagree with you about the prospects of WD addressing the issues with this firmware. Given the seriousness of the bugs, I suspect that they’ll probably issue a maintanance update. I’ll bet you a dollar they do… :wink:

I’ll take your dollar :slight_smile:

Posted this in the WDTV Live section by mistake a couple days ago. I’ve also edited it a bit with later findings…

The update popped up on my WDTV Live Plus last night. I let it update and at first everything seemed fine (no spinning wheel). I proceeded to test the features I use all the time. Here are the quirks I found…

Network Settings no longer show SSID name or signal strength. I connect via a Wireless N connection and had no issues with the previous firmware. Although the signal is not shown the connection still seems solid.

MKV (1.5-2.5gb) files take about 2-3 minutes to begin playing. You also cannot fast forward them at all. It just hangs things up. I thought they didn’t play at all but I let one spin while I checked some network settings on my PC and came back to find the movie playing. Also smaller MKV files start right up like normal. Perhaps the unit tries to buffer the entire file? Almost seems that way. After messing with the MKV problem I went back and tried to watch an AVI file and had to cycle power due to it locking up. This was not repeatable and all the AVI files I’ve tried since seem to play and fast forward and rewind fine.

Things that seem better.

Connecting to a network share seemed more solid. The last version would sometimes take a few tries. I noticed others having problems with this. For me it is better?

Also once the MKV file started the picture looked better but that could be my imagination.

Netflix seemed to still be okay. YouTube ran fast for me and the new interface is much nicer.

The smartphone remote app is very cool. Between that and the YouTube update it almost makes the MKV issue livable.

I did a factory reset and that did not fix any of these issues. I have not tried a hard reset (push the button).

I may re-flash to the previous version. The MKV playback is a big issue for me.

Just my 2 cents…

apnea wrote:

johnnyzero wrote:

apnea,

I’ll take your dollar :slight_smile:

You’re on!

1 Like

Hi guys, I would like you to know that Western Digital is well aware of the issues some of you are experiencing, they have all been reported and are under investigation. I will follow up on this thread once I get any updates.

jubei04 wrote:

Hi guys, I would like you to know that Western Digital is well aware of the issues some of you are experiencing, they have all been reported and are under investigation. I will follow up on this thread once I get any updates.

Nice, thanks for being responsive!

Rick

For those with network share problems.  Have you tried to clear out your password and re-enter it?  BTW, I am running a Synology with both NFS and SMB shares.  Also if using SMB/Samba, have you verified the workgroup is correct?  To be honest, you shouldn’t have to do any of the above, if it was previous working as I don’t think the firmware change log indicates any of the above items were touched…BUT…try it out and report back?

-d

Hi Guys:

Same as most of poeple here I upgraded my WD liveplus for new FW 1.06.34_B.  It took more than regular update and it says It shutdown for update completion and then I have rooling prblem.  I did factory reset, check all setting.  I have to unplug and plug it back in to stop cycling on/off.  I can’t access my networkshare either.

I am planning to roll it back in, but WD need to adress this isue and try better before releasing a file.

The other main issue should be adress to revive your WD if you have power failuer during an update.  Looks like it’s garbage if  you have power bump?!

Thanks

Notice:  This firmware update has been removed.

Please reference:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/Firmware-01-06-34-Removed-from-update-page/m-p/478048#M15966

After waiting all this time and now this.  If I remember correctly, didn’t WD brick a lot of units with a FW upgrade in the past? 

I was planning on buying their new router, My Net N900, I’m not sure if I want the version with the hard drive but now I’m starting to rethink the purchase.  If their QC with Firmware’s is this bad I don’t know if I want to try a router.

I think they should stick with Hard Drives and put all their resources to producing one good product.

I updated yesterday my WD TV Live Plus WDBABX0000NBK00 firmware and now goes to turn out the WD icon and then only see a circle of loading and does not go to the next screen, I can not do anything. I read that to update it manually down to a pendrive but I need to see the options screen and is not,  help

wd.jpg