New Release - WD TV Live Hub Firmware Version 3.12.13 (7/23/2013)

I’d like to confirm the Favorites issue.  I upgraded my WD TV Live Hub to 3.12.13.

I had 4 folders from my NAS set as Favorites. The folders were under a share that was in My Library.  Everything has worked great for months until this firmware upgrade.

When I select any of them, I get a message stating the contents are no longer available, or something to that extent. If I select OK, it takes me to My Library which has the NAS share.

I am unable to delete the existing favorites even though it takes me through the steps. If I attempt to create a new favorite for the folder, it gives me a message that the favorite already exists with the exception of one time.  I then had a duplicate Favorites and neither worked.

After exhausting numerous options, I unfortunately did the dreaded device reset.  Not only does the Favorites for the NAS folders still not work on my device, its now squirrelly because I have to tweak all the settings back to the way I had it.  I have a WD TV Live Player that I did NOT upgrade and those favorites also do NOT work.  The error message is something about no available media server.  I don’t recall.  Anyway… this last paragraph is just sharing frustration.  I’m not going to try to fix the player until they fix this firmware.

Own 2 Hubs had problems on both update installs and after the update install.

Something is not right!!!

If I had problems with only one of my Hubs after the latest update then I wouldn’t know what the heck was going on.

But

Odds are 2 Hubs having problems updating and after the update is conclusive. This new update has caused me problems!!!

Never had a update problem in the past and I owned these Hubs for years.

After update, my Hub is still stalling with Orange Circle too.

The only way around it is to connect an ethernet bridge and remote control power on/off disconnecting the WDTV to the web and play stored content only.

Shortly after connecting to the AT&T 2Wire, it spins round and round.

The Update has not fixed this issue on either of my 2 hubs which show the identical symptoms - link to router = Orange Circle.

Just so ya know… I’m on a 2wire AT&T Uverse and so far no problems. Been on the new update since the release day. 

Good to hear! Are you playing MKV files (this where it all started for me).

maxcat wrote:

Good to hear! Are you playing MKV files (this where it all started for me).

Most of my files are .avi but I do have some .mkv files and they don’t seem to be an issue on the Hub or moving them around. I’ll play a few of them today and see if things may have changed. If something bad happens I’ll report back to you here.

I gather the problem is not playing them from the HUb’s drive but from a network share…is that right?

99% of my files are Mkv’s and I have never had the spinning circle.

It’s not the file types or the Hub as such, but any attaching equipment, how they would fix that who know’s ?

Will it boil down to a firmware and hardware standard of attached equipment, as per the Wireless adapters (and we all have seen how unreliable that can be), if so, where would they even start ?

I agree.

I can now start the Orange Circle ‘at will’ on all local files and links (Tunein for example); connect to my 2Wire and it starts. So, what router are you using, I’d like to install it here and see if the Orange Circle disappears. 

How to fix it? I had thought about starting a Hub Friendly Router thread, as I think the ‘externals’ are causing the issue.

Eliminate the known routers causing issues and let’s see if this can be identified as a primary cause.

I am using multiple NetGear Routers and a NetGear Gigabit Switch. To date (knocking on wood now), I have not had any issues with any file type I have tried (MKV, AVI, MP4 and ISO), and I use Tune in almost all day without a problem. All my files are on a file server that my HUB accesses across my network. Both the HUB and the File Server are hardwired, but the HUB is on the router, and the FileServer is on the switch.

Not sure about the spinning arrow issue people are seeing, but it does not appear to be the FW, at least on my end.

-P

Pearl thanks for the list of gear, you’ve inspired me to try the Hub Friendly Router thread, which is now live.

BTW - can you try an experiment for me with Tunein. I run my own streaming station from New Zealand and I have wondered what it sounds like ‘over there’!..

If you have time can you please try Kiss-FM 88.1 Tauranga New Zealand on Tunein and see if it is stable with good audio at your USA end? (It’s unrelated to this discussion but anyone with a ‘Pearl’ drum logo gets my attention!)

maxcat wrote:

Pearl thanks for the list of gear, you’ve inspired me to try the Hub Friendly Router thread, which is now live.

BTW - can you try an experiment for me with Tunein. I run my own streaming station from New Zealand and I have wondered what it sounds like ‘over there’!..

If you have time can you please try Kiss-FM 88.1 Tauranga New Zealand on Tunein and see if it is stable with good audio at your USA end? (It’s unrelated to this discussion but anyone with a ‘Pearl’ drum logo gets my attention!)

Reception is loud and clear, perfect stream on  Kiss-FM 88.1 Tauranga New Zealand. Added to favorites on the TuneIn website, and then “tuned” to it on my HUB. No latency issue at all, and I get the program lineup listing. Worked as expected, though admitedly I have a pretty fast line for normal home usage. 

-P

Thanks Pearl - I appreciate the extra Tunein step here!

When my Hub falters and Orange Circle appears, I go to Tunein and my screensavers appear and streaming links if they are up can not be turned off. 

Hard reboot/unplug is then needed.

maxcat,

You are wrong, it’s not the router that’s causing the spinning circle of death. It’s something that’s connected to the router, usually a NAS/Home Server.

I tried two routers and the internal dhcp server of my NAS and it happens every time. Without the NAS on the network the Hub works fine.

posting in this thread because wd people might read it.

foetus wrote:

LarryLo wrote:

I just installed the latest firmware. General aspects work fine.

The only part which is now totally broken for me is the Favorites. When I access any of my Favorites, it says that the media is no longer available and disconnected. Then it proceeds to ask me for my media location. My media is there. It is just that the favorite goes to somewhere totally wrong.

Then I tried to redo my Favorite list. That had a bizarre list of side-effects like lossing my entire of list of hearts in my media display, and not updating. By not updating, I mean, either showing a heart or no heart. It could be a bit slow however at the end I just gave it more time. Enabling the favorite marker again for a particular folder would re-enable the hearts displayed. I eventually removed all my favorites.

I then restarted my device. I added a Favorite. When I tried to access the Favorite, the problem was still there. It just asked me to select my media location again. Favorites are now broken.

I guess now that I have no Favorites that was a mistake for me. I should have waited for the next firmware update.

Same problem

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Discussions/Can-anyone-confirm-bug-with-Favorites-FW-3-12-13/td-p/579880

I have the same problem where Dashboard Favorites don’t work. I couldn’t find any post about this in the Issue Reporting Forum, so I have made a report. Feel free to comment on it and vote here:

http://community.wd.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Hub-Issue-Reporting/FW-3-12-13-Favorites-to-network-do-not-work/idi-p/582114

Do I still use it?

I gave up trying to use this supposed media hub to play my music collection the day after I bought it… the interface is awful… the lack of many features basic to many other media players… the indifference of WD towards addressing these issues… I wish I had returned it for a refund then.

The longer I have this hub the more WD breaks what little functionality it had had out of the box. Youtube is garbage… the list of supported file formats formats seems to be shrinking all the time… . did they not break themes… Now favorites are broken… it forgets media sources for no reason… it crashes and reboots whenever it feels like it… it can’t even seem to keep its clock set accurately.

A few days before the last firmware upbreak was released, I connected an old pc tower to my television… it does Netflix (with a vastly superior ui I might add) With XBMC installed it plays every file format I can throw at it… including streaming vlogs, blogs, and Internet radio. It will Random Play All my entire music collection without me having to use some 3rd rate library software… The games on it don’t chew backside… it is as customizable as I want it to be. Its clock knows what time it is… FTW

Until WD starts addressing some or all of the things they’ve broken, or that never worked, for me, this thing is noting more than net attached storage now.

If someone out there still likes the WD Hub and wants to swap me a 2TB usb hard drive for mine, pm me and we’ll swap addresses.

If I get to a store and get my own HD before anybody contacts me, I’m taking the hub out back and blogging me hitting it with an axe.

Not to put too fine a point on it.

Sorry I asked now…was just looking for a simple yes or no…and I’m very sorry you have so many problems with your Hub. It surely is not what the average user experiences. Busting it up with an axe might relieve you of some frustration and the Hub will definately be broken when you’re done with that. Just seems to me it would be better to sell it and be done with it and at least get a little of your money back. But it’s your Hub…have fun whatever you do with it :slight_smile:

@ClintonHammond

Really sorry to hear about your problems with this so called ‘media device’ , as I entirely agree with your frustrations and anger…but I also had to chuckle, because I fully understand ones aspirations of what a media player should be capable of doing in the year 2013. 

I have now subsequently moved on from the HUB to a platform like your good self.  :wink: …

xmbc

http://xbmc.org/

1 Like

I agree almost to everything with ClintonHammond and usually WD way of improving is new media player that is “like” better from previous and this time Play was just flunk. But it shows cover art when playing mp3 :slight_smile:

But still, until I find something better, Hub is no1. When I get up in the morning and play Timmy Time to my kids, I know everything will be alright.

“It surely is not what the average user experiences.”
The way this “community” has, over the last couple of years, hemorrhaged active, contributing members says that, in fact, I’ve held out longer than most.  

Not that there were ever many WD Hub users in the first place.

If this thing ran better software, say Android, it might have really made something of itself.  

ClintonHammond wrote:

If this thing ran better software, say Android, it might have really made something of itself.  

How do you know that it doesn’t?