New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

Is auto framerate working for anyone? I had 1.05 previously and was working just fine. After the update everything plays at 50Hz (TV’s default)

Also I can’t seem to find the framerate setting anywhere… was it removed?

I also am seeing an annoying pause when starting a video, or when resuming a video after fast forward or pause. 

I don’t know when I will learn that WD firmware updates are seldom upgrades.

Just wanted to report that I have not encountered any issues with this newest firmware and am in day 4 of using this release.  I actually think that the time to initially load the Video folders from my Windows Vista Network share is noticeably less after powering on.  I leave the device plugged in but powered “off” via the remote when not in use.  I appreciate how quickly the WDTV Live presents the home page, particularly when compared to the WDTV Live Plus

I have played .VOB, .mpg, .avi, .m2ts, .dvr-ms, .wmv and .mp4 files and have not observed any signs of stuttering or significant delays when opening videos.  Do not have any .mkv content to test.  Did not attempt the YouTube Leaning feature. 

I did not restore my WDTV Live to factory defaults or take any special measures to upgrade the FW.  Actually let the update come over my “hidden” n5.0 wireless connection, which connected as usual during and following completion of the update and continues to do so.  Was using v1.06.15 prior to this.  I was fortunate enough to read the posts last summer and avoided the ill-fated previous update.

The WDTV Live remembered and connected to my Network Share after the update.

Connected via HDMI to my Panasonic TC-32LX50 at 1280 x 720 - 60hz. Via Linksys WUSB600N wirelessly networked using a D-Link revB DIR-825 router.

Am impressed that WD continues to offer updates to this 3-year-old product.  That is coming close to as long as I historically found Apple to offer support for most of its Macintosh hardware.

1 Like

Don’t touch this BIOS - it broke my WDTV as follows:

1. My D-Link DWA-125 wireless adapter stopped working (link light didn’t light up and  network speed was extremely slow).

2. MTS and M2TS files did not play correctly.

I wasted about 6 hours troubleshooting, resetting and rolling back. I had to roll back and factory reset a few times because my menu system got corrupted in the process of rolling back. I also could not roll back to a previously downloaded copy of 1.06.15 - I think because the timestamp on the .ver file was not newer than that of the .ver file for 1.06.43 installed. Get the rollback BIOS from here: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/5800/session/L2F2LzEvc25vLzEvdGltZS8xMzU4ODU3MzM2L3NpZC9UZE9xNVhnbA%3D%3D

WD f*&^ed it up again! Every 2nd BIOS I’ve updated to, has broken something that was working perfectly well before the update. Fricking amateurs!

I have the same D-Link DWA-125 wireless adapter and did not experienced any problems after upgrading to new FW.

Did not factory reset after upgrading and wireless/network settings were automatically remembered by the box.

Just updated firmware for WD TV Live, after startup it goes blank and have to press Home on remote to access the WD TV.

Any solution and also does this firmware support newer Wifi Dongles as your listed compatable ones are all unavaible and obsolute according to local vendors here in Malaysia

Thanks Bill

everything works but the thing I love about this device the most , play to : wdtvlive through windows 7 or mobile phone , it seems like theres a problem with update , when i enter the ip address of wdtvlive this error : (404 - not found ) appears , did the factory reset , no luck ,

Hi ibnibne101 you say you use a Dlink DW 125. What version is that?

When streaming video from the shared folders on my PC the WD Live always freezes after 25 minutes of playback. The only way out is to disconnect power.

I was having the same problem with firmware version 1.06.15, except that the unit would freeze after 17 minutes.

Playback from USB works perfectly.

I have now rolled back to 1.05 and everything works fine again.

Anyone experiencing this?

Stef

ibne101 - Either you have a different version of the DWA-125 (mine is ver A1 - the supported version according to the compatibility list: http://wdc.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3805 ) or the firmware update is fickle and produces inconsistent results.

I’m thinking it’s a bit fickle, as the rollback resulted in some of my menus being garbled, but doing exactly the same thing a second time, seemed to  fix it.

When I ran the new BIOS (1.06.43), video took over 20 seconds to begin playing (was 3-5 seconds previously) - this is unacceptable. Also, the machine did not respond properly to pause and unpause functions. These are not network issues - the same behaviour occured when playing from a USB HDD.

There were a few other significant issues with some media formats, but to cut a long story short, there are more than enough reasons to stay the **bleep** away from this BIOS (1.06.43). Ver 1.06.15 is the most stable, and highest performing, on both of my WDTV Live units, one of which is wired to the network and the other is wireless.

maybe the latest beta is the better “final” ? (autoframrate …etc)

Just rolled back to  1.06.15_V:  With this new firmware .43 I can’t stream Jazzradio.com from TuneIn anymore, generating the “File format not supported” error. 

There is a lot of firmware update frustration over in the Live Plus firmware thread, and I invite you folks to read my last post in there:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/New-Release-WD-TV-Live-Plus-Firmware-Version-1-06-42-1-17-13/m-p/534946#M17212

To add: This audio streaming issue started with 1.06.42. I didn’t encounter serious problems with  1.06.15_V so far, it works as a final for me.

Can anyone,confirm what the last firmware that didn’t have the network shares issue was?

namin55 wrote:

Just updated firmware for WD TV Live, after startup it goes blank and have to press Home on remote to access the WD TV.

Any solution and also does this firmware support newer Wifi Dongles as your listed compatable ones are all unavaible and obsolute according to local vendors here in Malaysia

Thanks Bill

I will check into this.

1. mostly works for me, no locked files if i power down without ejecting.

2. sometimes the device don’t boot: see the logo, then goes blank and then nothing more… dead… must disconnet the power cable to boot again.

3. sometimes after booting, my tv begins to flicker, screen on, screen off…

i got this problem with all the newer firmware. i still stuck on 1.5 version.

I did the “update”.

After that I had the following problem:

• The WDTV did not pick up my 1.5 TB HDD on USB2.

• I did a facory reset. After that the WDTV did regonize the HDD but reported it to be empty (no media).

I reverted back to 1.05.04. (It did not break my WDTV player)

MY WD TV LIVE HAS BEEN BRICKED AFTER INSTALLING THIS FIRMWARE.

Just as with all other firmware updates, I followed the instructions on my perfecly working WDTV Live. Download took a while but after the reboot, the update screen got stuck at 0%. I left it overnight and in the morning it was the same. Had to power the unit off and try alternative options. On power on, a black screen promted me to insert a usb with the firmware. Downloaded the firmware on 3 separate USB sticks, formatted with FAT/FAT32 with no success. Tried even a hard drive.

My previous firmware was the last one before this update (1.06.16 I think).

Has anyone else experienced the same issue?