New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

Just found this firmware upgrade. I had just about given up on wireless connection but much to my surprise I’ve now got it working. Netgear WNA1100 and TP-Link TL-WN722N.

Thank you.

Techflaws wrote:

Also, how’s 1.05.04 better than 1.06.15?

1. It’s considerably faster

2. It doesn’t ruin my disks

3. Auto framerate

Besides the reasons above, after this release, WD started adding “features” of dubious and useless value; e.g. lame games that are totally useless today. (Remember “Pong”?)  The firmware that directly followed also got so many bug complaints that we were promised an update “soon”.  That took over a year to happen, and we were finally greeted with a few disasterous firmwares including the current one.  1.05.04 is the best firmware to date, and it will stay on my Live Plus until a really clean and good one appears on the scene.

mike27oct wrote:

1.05.04 is the best firmware to date …

I keep hearing this but I’ve stuck with 1.04.22 because I heard the while-playing (options) menu was mangled in 1.05.04. Can someone tell me if this is really a significant issue?  I use this menu frequently for subtitle selection but not much else.

Thanks

Let me get this straight, the firmware that started deleting file is 1.06.15, not the messy 1.06.34?

I’m not completely sure when it started. I saw reports of failure shortly after 1.05.04, but wasn’t paying attention as I like you thought it was due to premature disconnect. I’m pretty sure it is long before 1.06.34, though

@skinsman

Yup, 1.05.04 has problems with options menu.

friga wrote:

@skinsman

Yup, 1.05.04 has problems with options menu.

Please give the details of this problem.  I had not heard of any of this.

http://community.wdc.com/t5/WD-TV-Live-Firmware-Networking/New-Release-Firmware-Version-1-05-04-B-for-WD-TV-Live-Plus-5-17/td-p/191744/page/3

Yep, thanks, after I posted I searched, too, and found the link you posted.  I just was taking a look at some movies from the WDTV, and  I looked into the Option menu issue.  Since  I don’t use subtitles (Que pasa!) it isn’t much of an issue to me, for as Scandy said below in the thread:

Re: Version 1.05.04_B Bug with subtitle Options  . …

‎05-19-2011  08:43 AM

The problem regarding the left justified and intermittently showing options menu text has been reported many times in many threads since the 1.05.04 release. I admit that it is a little annoying, but the options still work, you can cycle through the option choices by pressing the Enter key on the remote. You can’t see the choices on the display, but when you are selecting an audio channel, or selecting a subtitle, you can cycle through them and hear the different audio channels, and you can see the subtitles on the screen. It is still useable. Is this really that big of a problem? (I am sure this will be fixed in the next release).

Don’t get me wrong, it is hard to understand how this obvious bug was not caught in testing. WD should have a software validation test procedure in place that not only tests the new changes, but also tests to make sure that the box works as it did before. This is just normal good software practice… but all of the options still work. I would not roll back the firmware just because of this. .

I tend to agree with his logic, and besides, the firmware previous to this had that awful bug of the overly bright menu screen  (Yea, how sloppy was that of WD!) and was fixed in 1.05.04.  The firmware after it did not appear to even address this Options menu “issue” (per the Release Notes).

Overall, I will stay using 1.05.04 unless I am still “missing something” and some kind person here points it out to me.

BTW, someone posted a video of this issue on YouTube:   http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB7Z3WCi0NU

mike27oct wrote:
I had not heard of any of this.

Me neither, weird.

Obviously, neither of us “got the memo”.   :flushed:

Caution, long post again.

I’ve been bothered about the strobe-jitter effect ever since I ran into it on 1.05.04V.   An effective remedy seems to be to code the files with constant framerate (CFR) rather than variable framerate (VFR) that Handbrake defaults to.  However, coding CFR is problematic with some ripping tools, including the direct from DVD conversion that Handbrake can perform when you add the special .dll.  My own experience is that some DVD rips converted to MKV in CFR 24Hz play OK but have a peculiar limitation; they cannot be paused nor FFWD/FBWD.  The pause just plain doesn’t work, and the FFWD/FBWD invoke the red barred circle, indicating an invalid action.  VLC has a similar problem playing those files; they play fine but the progress bar can’t be dragged forward or back. Although I haven’t fully explored this, it’s only happened (so far) on DVDs that have two or more versions of the main film e.g…: theatrical release and unrated release, where most of the chapters are shared between the two to conserve space.

I’ve found that if the DVD source is fully ripped, menus and all, the CFR coded 24Hz file (by Handbrake) plays perfectly and the pause and FFWD/FBWD buttons work.  If the DVD had been re-authored to just the main film, or you used Handbrake’s direct from DVD conversion, the buttons don’t work despite the nice smooth playback.  It has been suggested to me not to bother coding in VFR, but that’s like having a car with a 6-speed transmission where you limit yourself to the first 5 because the engine misfires in 6th. 

My gut feeling is that the problem with VFR lies in the Live firmware, and to prove or disprove my hunch, I took my -01rev  Live “Lab rat” back, first to 1.03.49V, and then all the way back to 1.02.21V.  Using two copies of the same film, one coded VFR, and the other CFR, both 24Hz and very close to each other in size, the problem appears in 1.03.49V as well.  Note that since Auto-match framerate was introduced later, I had to go into the settings menu and manually select 1080P 24Hz, otherwise the Live performs 3:2 pulldown and plays the files at 60Hz.  The VFR file at 24Hz not only exhibited the now familiar strobe-jitter, the pause button toggling could not make it go away; clearly something had been improved but not quite fixed after 1.03.49.  As expected, the CFR file played perfectly and all buttons worked.

I was beginning to think that my hunch was wrong, which really is good news since it would point back to my tool chain.  I thought to stop at this point but since I had all the gear in place to test this, I took 'er back to 1.02.21V after burning an hour trying to find a legit copy of the rollback on the WD website (it’s there but the link is not advertised).  I was surprised by what I found;  1.02.21V played the VFR coded file nice and smooth at 24Hz (actually 23.976Hz as the menu setting allowed) just like the CFR file.  No amount of toggling the pause could cause the problem to show up. 

I now firmly believe that something in the firmware had been broken between 1.02.xx and 1.03.xx, and it looks like it was partially fixed after that.  I had not expected to go as deeply into this issue as I had but the second Live unit gave me a low-risk opportunity to explore.  Also, although I’m still a bit hopeful, I’m beginning to resign myself to the strong possibility that 1.05.04V is the final version for my two Lives, and I want as much working bug free at this version as possible.

RPH_16by9 wrote:
It has been suggested to me not to bother coding in VFR, but that’s like having a car with a 6-speed transmission where you limit yourself to the first 5 because the engine misfires in 6th. 

Says who? Are there any video comparisons available demonstrating superior quality on the same source material using VFR? And why use Handbrake for DVD. Do you encode the video H264 or do you simply wanna have the same untouched video? If so, why not use DVDfab or MakeMKV?

Lots of work there; hope you had a bag-o-chips to munch while doing all this.

I see no jitter on my ISO files when Live Plus plays them with 1.05.04.  I only use Handbrake for making m4v movies for the iPad from the ISO.  Some slight fidelity is lost when seen on the big screen, because the files are usually around a gig +/-.  Nonetheless, the movies look great on the iPad’s smaller screen.  The ISOs I make are my “masters”; besides watching them and making m4v files from them,  I can make MKV files (of my blu-rays). This all works for me; other people do it differently, and it doesn’t matter as long as the outcome we get is what we wanted.

@techflaws

One thing I forgot to mention that would explain my seemingly irrational attachment to VFR coding using Handbrake, is that the pause/FFWD/FRWD button issue I ran into with CFR does not happen at all with VFR, regardless of the DVD source.  This is not a quest to get the best possible visual quality; I just want to get smooth playing 24Hz MKVs using the toolchain I’m most familiar and comfortable with.

My sole reason for going to the trouble of performing the testing I did is that I suspected a firmware issue, and I am now convinced that it is the case since I can make a problematic VFR coded file play perfecty on an old firmware revision.  I’m simply sharing my experience here 1) to point out an issue to WD, and 2) to see if anyone else can reproduce the exact same behaviour. 

@mike27oct - nachos   :slight_smile:

So it looks like I got some reading to do before I hit the update firmware button eh?

RPH_16by9 wrote:
I’m simply sharing my experience here 1) to point out an issue to WD, and 2) to see if anyone else can reproduce the exact same behaviour.

I only have CFR files and I have no problems pausing or FFding.

Same here – and all made with Handbrake

Bill ,are they gonna release anymore firmwares for the wd tv live and what’s the word on wd making available other rollback firmwares?