New Release - WD TV Live Firmware Version 1.06.43 (1/17/13)

I was prompted to update firmware to 1.06.43 this morning.  The internet download then update went perfectly.  When the device rebooted after update, get WDTV Live logo for a few seconds, then blank screen, then dark screen.  Tried rebooting and resetting to no avail.  WD seem to have turned my excellent box into a brick.  I’ve tried booting a USB stick with the same software on it, from both USB ports, using different sticks, but although the access light flickers, I get the same screen behavior.  If I try web access just get an opportunity to change screen name but nothing useful.  Anybody seen this before?  Thanks.  It’s a WDTV HD Live Media Player.

If the firmware did in fact flash then having the same firmware on a usb stick will do just as you stated, just flash a couple of times when the stick is accessedon boot. You said you reset. How by the paperclip in the hole? How is the WD connected to your TV? HDMI or Composit? Did you do try to use the other output as a check? If HDMI try disconnect/reconnect of cable.

avocadopicker wrote:

I was prompted to update firmware to 1.06.43 this morning.  The internet download then update went perfectly.  When the device rebooted after update, get WDTV Live logo for a few seconds, then blank screen, then dark screen …

If you normally use HDMI, it might be worth checking what’s coming out on Composite or Component in case the WDTV has reset to using those.

Many thanks for those inputs.  I’ll check and report back.

Many thanks.  I used video output (only use HDMI normally) and could then see menus.  Set up HDMI output and now all good… not terribly impressed with WDTV update process which doesn’t keep existing settings.  Thanks again - lifesaver!

Till now I have used fw. 1.02.21, which was almost perfect.

Since I upgrade to 1.06.43 (which I regret now) I am experiencing troubles playing MKV’s smoothly at 23,976 framerate.

When I choose “match framerate” I believe that WDTV plays movie at 24,000 ftps, because it stutters every 30-40 seconds.

When I turn the “match framerate” off, the movie is also not playing perfectly smooth!

Because of this, I decided to perform rollback to 1.02.21, but WDTV live just freezes and hangs after rollback. I have found out, that rollback to this lower firmware is not possible for some reason. WD TV probably saves settings from 1.06.43 firmware to memory and those settings collide with older firmware.

What should I do when I want to play MKV’s at 23,976 smooth again?

Rollback to 1.06.15 and then to 1.02.21 while doing resets before and after. Worked for me as I wrote in this thread.

I was prompted to upgrade last night and did so.  Since then the unit doesn’t see any of my ISO files.

ISOs still work fine from USB and network shares. Have you accidentally switched to media server?

Techflaws: just did the rollback, but as I said, it looks like rollback from the highest firmware to 1.02.21 is not possible anymore. After rollback the WDTV just freezes and you can’t do a thing… :flushed:

That’s why I explicitely wrote to rollback to 1.06.15 first and only then to any lower firmware!

i did exactly as you said,

1/ had latest wdtvlive_1.06.43_V, reset to factory settings

2/ Rollback to 1.06.15, reset to factory settings

3/ Rollback to 1.02.21, reset to factory settings

While having 1.02.21 and while I am browsing in menu or want to change settings, wdtv freezes randomly, remote doesn’t work, i had to do only hard turn off. when i turn the wdtv on and I browse through menu, it freezes again within seconds. and it goes on and on like this. The only way to use wdtv again is to install 1.06.43.

This makes me so frustrated !! Without 23,976 support this product is absolutely useless!

The only way how to obtain 23,976 support again is to rollback to 1.02.21 somehow, but without wdtv freezing all the time.

Does anybody tried to perform rollback from 1.06.43 to 1.02.21 ?

I’ll probably roll back to 1.06_15.

AVI files take a lot longer to start up, but that is more of a nuisance than anything else.

The dealbreaker for me is: I have all my files on a NAS, a DS411j from Synology. NAS and WDTV box are connected via a Router.

With _15, I was able, 9 times out of 10 to “see” the network drive entry for my NAS. In 6 out of those 9 times, I was able to connect. If that didn’t work, then I had to re-start the WDTV, sometimes several times.

Now, with _43, 4 times out of 5 I don’t see the NAS entry, so I can’t even try to connect. I usually need to re-boot the WDTV box about 3 or 4 times, then it works.

I’m saying I’ll roll back *probably* as there are still one or two things I’m willing to try in tweaking in the Network settings on the NAS. We’ll see how that turns out.

Oh, and the Android App? Only once was my tablet able to connect to the WDTV. Since the app seems to rely on the WDTV broadcasting its availability, and that doesn’t seem to work that well, the app is useless. Now, If I could enter the IP adress directly in the app… :slight_smile:

[Deleted] WD doing with these releases?  Anything over 1.06.15_V and my HDMI connection cuts in and out.  I hear a slight noise when the signal is lost.  The screen flickers.  [Deleted]

tom.p.sk. wrote:
Does anybody tried to perform rollback from 1.06.43 to 1.02.21 ?

Weird. I’Ve used 1.02.21 for 2 days without any freezes. Well, at least you could go back to 1.06.43. Maybe WD will get their act together and fix 23.976 in their final update. I won’t hold my breath though.

I upgraded to v.1.06.43, but now I do not read more hhd from 2.5 WD My Passport Essential 1TB, when arranged this problem, sorry for my english.

Resolved. I edited the file “wdtvlive.ver” v.1.05.04 writing v.1.07.10 with notepad, and went back to v.1.05.04 that is definitely the best

there will be a final update…???

nino1969 wrote:

Resolved. I edited the file “wdtvlive.ver” v.1.05.04 writing v.1.07.10 with notepad, and went back to v.1.05.04 that is definitely the best

Could have ended differently given this warning from the beginning of the thread:

Bill_S wrote:

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Media Player.

• Very Important: Rolling back to version 1.05.04 or earlier may break your WDTV.

Also, how’s 1.05.04 better than 1.06.15?

Could have ended differently given this warning from the beginning of the thread:

Bill_S wrote:

WD is happy to announce our latest firmware update for the WD TV Live Media Player.

• Very Important: Rolling back to version 1.05.04 or earlier may break your WDTV.

Look, I do not want to be argumentative, what I had read about the possible failure of the device, but what was the keep the reader who did not read the hhd?

Also, how’s 1.05.04 better than 1.06.15?

Just the fact that v.1.05.04 read my hhd My Passport already better v.1.06.43 (which could have endless improvements that I would take if I have to do to apply them)

valente274 wrote:

there will be a final update…???

Unless I’ve missed something, what we’ve got is the long-awaited “final update” and that’s it.  Even though 1.06.43 is clearly screwed and no way would I use it, I keep coming back to this forum in the forlorn hope that WD will announce they’re releasing yet another update.  However they’ve been very quiet and I think if they had any intent to do another uipdate they would have said so by now.

So WD, how about it - can you tell us one way or the other?  If no more updates are happening please let us know - put us out of our misery.