New Release - WD SmartWare Version 1.3.6 for Mac 10.5-10.9 (11/25/13)

STILL DOES NOT WORK!!! I’ve lost all my data. Will never buy WD again.

IT DOESN´T WORK AT ALL, MY DISK IS GONE!!!

Bill,

Appreciate all the help. Unfortunately I am still stuck. MB Studio…on Mac. Have installed both latest updates. Unit just won’t mount. Lights on but apparently no one is home. Disck utility cannot repair. I am the first one to acknowledge I might be missing something simple.

• Installed updates.
  • Shutdown down computer.
  • Plugged in My Book.
  • Started computer.
  • Disk Not Mounted
  • Message: “OS X can’t repair the disk “My Book.” You can still open or copy files on the disk, but you can’t save changes to files on the disk. Back up the disk and reformat it as soon as you can.”

If there is any resource to walk me through this please advise.

Thanks.

lorenzob wrote:

Dear Bill_S,

I’m a My Book Studio II customer. I would like to know if this discussion also applies for WD Drive Manager. In particular, if I update to the new version (3.1.0 ), will this version take care of removing the previous one?

Currently I have ML 10.8.5. So, do I need to update the WD Drive Manager and the then install Mavericks or viceversa?

Thanks in advance.

Sorry, was out for Thanksgiving.  Yes, it should remove any previous versions.  I would update before installing Mavericks.

pandageek wrote:

STILL DOES NOT WORK!!! I’ve lost all my data. Will never buy WD again.

You guys need to understand that the data lost is not going to be restored by updating SmartWare or WD Drive Manager.  You needed to get the software data recovery tool from us to possibly do that.  Contact us for further help.

http://support.wdc.com/country/index.asp?lang=en

Is there any reason why for the past week the updater keeps telling me The WD update server is currently unavailable? I’ve been trying to keep my cool about this but it seems everyone else is in the same sad category of having to start over from scratch creatively because we depended on your product to back up our stuff. In this day in technology this should have been ironed out before reaching the mass market, not to use the mac community as guinea pigs to test out your bugs.

So please, I ask you again, after a month of production gone and losing 3 clients because of it.

Why is your flipping software not updating?

I’m extremely disappointed in the huge ball drop on all this. Once I get my assets off the HD I’m never using your products again.

Unacceptable.

"The WD update server is currently unavailable” It’s been like this for days. Why would you first screw up our date, then announce a fix and turn off the server?

What an awful customer service experience I’ve had with Western Digital.  It’s disastrously poor service, on top of the significant problem of data loss due to WD software on an Apple OSX Mavericks computer impacting my data storage and backups of my MacBookPro.

First, there’s no organized communication on this problem.  The problem, from this user’s perspective, is severe, and merits executive oversight.  Anyone impacted lost all their data; more correctly, the journal appears to have been deleted.  For a company whose primary job is data storage, I have trouble imagining a larger customer problem.

Second, there’s no end in sight.  The conflicting, disparate messages don’t individually provide a solution, and they don’t add up to a solution.

Third, the customer service portal is a disaster.  If you want to start a support ticket, you need to register a product.  You can’t register a product out of warranty, though, which effectively tells me that Western Digital won’t provide any customer support after a warranty.

Fourth, when I was finally able to get a support ticket started on December 8, I got no response.

The clarity of “we don’t care” is offensive, and inescapable.

Hi Bill, I have just acquired a Thunderbolt Duo and I am unclear as to whether the software for Mavericks is now ok or not.  There is another post on the subject dated 28 November which suggests the issue is still live?

Could you clarify

Many thanks

El

ElShed wrote:

Hi Bill, I have just acquired a Thunderbolt Duo and I am unclear as to whether the software for Mavericks is now ok or not.  There is another post on the subject dated 28 November which suggests the issue is still live?

Could you clarify

Many thanks

El

The software should be fine, now.

Just got a new Mac, loaded with Mavericks.  Downloaded the patch for 1.3.6.1 and installed.  It will not run, just shows a big red X over the icon and says, only, SmarttWare UNINSTALLER.  Thus, I cannot run my velociraptor external harddrive via thunderbolt.  What gives?

The Smartware software in .dmg format on the new drives, has it already been used/formatted on the drive?

This did not solve my problem. I still cannot mount my WD MyBook drive. I will look for the WD Drive Utilities app, and see if that has mounting capability.

Am I correct in that the only thing this updater does is to install a new version of the WD SmartWare app? I had never even used that in the first place.

Thanks,

-JE

Dear Bill_S,

Thanks for your rely. I’ve posted a new discussion here. The thing is not obvious to me is the following.

After downloaded the new WD Drive Manager (Mac) 3.1.0 and followed the above instructions, the current WD Drive Manager version  REMAINS  the  2.3.1.

Here the version I am able to see.

img.png

Hi all

I have a My Book Live 2TB NAS drive and a MacBook and can’t access the dashboard any more, which is probably due to a Mavericks issue. I installed Mavericks OS quite soon, so before I ran into the worrying messages and some nightmares about data corruption/loss upon OS upgrading.

My files on the drive seem to be ok, I can access the drive through finder. However, I can’t make it to the dashboard, so how can I do a firmware update? Sometimes, Time Machine fails to make a backup, but then somewhat later it seems to be ok again.

I downloaded the SmartWare app via this forum, but it seems to install a new version of the software. Then, a scan of the internal HD was automatically done (which I don’t need) and it doesn’t detect the WD NAS.

Then, if I wish to update the software, it says something about WD servers out of order…what is all this?

I use an iTunes library on the NAS and I noticed that iTunes becomes stuttering, certainly when playing movies from the NAS, it seems they don’t buffer, that movies are not efficiently loaded from the NAS. This was never an issue before. Another Mavericks issue seems to be the loss of homesharing between a computer and apple tv, but this is not WD related of course.

Any idea on what needs to be done to get the Mac/My Book configuration updated, up and running on Mavericks? 

Best

Hi again

Seems I was too fast with my previous post. The WD SmartWare app now detects the NAS and gave immediate access to the dashboard. I was able to update the firmware without a problem.

So problem solved I guess.

All the best

Hello Bill.

After updating to WD SmartWare 1.3.6, WD Quick View no longer unlocks my My Book Studio 2TB drive. Any word on an upcoming update of WD Quick View 2.4.0.6?

Thanks.

Has this issue been fixed or this there a known fix? I have a MacBookAir from 2011 on which I ran WD SmartWare 1.3.4 without major issues. After the update to SmartWare 1.3.6 the drive would not unlock. 

The installation of SmartWare 1.3.6 was seemingly not completed (only the installer showed up in the Application Folder)

An attempt to unlock via the VCD failed as well with the message “This drive is unlocked”. Even though I never had unlocked it and the actual drive did not show up.

The same thing happened on my very old MacBookPro (2007) which had never seen WD SmartWare when I tried to install it there.

Any idea for a fix? I would like to switch off the hardware encryption on the drive. Is there a way to do this without WD SmartWare?

In hope for quick help.

Best,

tippix

tippix wrote:

Hello Bill.

After updating to WD SmartWare 1.3.6, WD Quick View no longer unlocks my My Book Studio 2TB drive. Any word on an upcoming update of WD Quick View 2.4.0.6?

Thanks.

Has this issue been fixed or this there a known fix? I have a MacBookAir from 2011 on which I ran WD SmartWare 1.3.4 without major issues. After the update to SmartWare 1.3.6 the drive would not unlock. 

The installation of SmartWare 1.3.6 was seemingly not completed (only the installer showed up in the Application Folder)

An attempt to unlock via the VCD failed as well with the message “This drive is unlocked”. Even though I never had unlocked it and the actual drive did not show up.

The same thing happened on my very old MacBookPro (2007) which had never seen WD SmartWare when I tried to install it there.

Any idea for a fix? I would like to switch off the hardware encryption on the drive. Is there a way to do this without WD SmartWare?

In hope for quick help.

Best,

tippix

Concerning Quickview, I don’t know what the status is for that. For the rest of what you are encountering, I would contact support and get help with it.  It might actually be quicker that way.

I installed v. 1.3.6.1 before I installed Maverick.

When I installed Maverick it gave me a message that WDSmartWare was not compaitible. When I looked at my listing there is an app “SmartWare Uninstall” that has a “X” displayed. Is that  what i was warned about since the app WDSnartWare itself has no “X” applied to it.

I installed Maveriks in my IMac i3, when started I couldn’t find anymore the two external hard disks. One is a WD 1TB HD, and the secon is a Seagate Free Agent Desktop 500GB. None of both is readed from the system. I went in the WD web site to download the program to update my system, because even WD found problems with Maveriks, and when I opened the WD window the only HD was the computer HD. There is a small window saying uopdate the version with 1.3.6  but when you push it it appears the phrase: “The upgrade version is not available at the moment”.

Is anybody can help me? I have all my office story in both External HD copied, and I do not know how to solve the problem.

Thanks in advance.