New Release - My Book Live Firmware Version 02.32.05-046 (9/26/12)

Kevin wrote:

Hi Nik,

I hope you can assist me.

Previous firmware  02.11.09.053.

Updated to  02.32.05.144 today (Spt. 29).

Smartware v 1.6.2.

I am locked out of the drive. Unit asking for username & password. I tried the unit reset on  rear of unit, it reset, but I’m still locked out. I never set up a username or password, and admin/admin does not work.

This first happened when  I updated to FW 02.11.09.053. That’s when the username/passwoed became an issue.

I then uninstalled the Smartware, did a full system restore, and re-loaded the Smartware. Same issue. Locked out.

Any suggestions on how to correct this, or do I have to return the unit to WD for a new unit.

Cheers

Kev

I had this exact same problem I contacted WD support via phone, they remoted into my computer to troubleshoot the problem. The Technician determined that it was a bug in the software, I was told that they would fix the problem in the next smartware update, but its been almost about 4 months now and still no fix. I found that the only thing to do is to switch back smartware v 1.5.1.6.

best of luck,

agustin

mumpitz wrote:

Guess what, I did it again! How could I run a WD firmware update without checking the board first!?

But meanwhile I’m quite experienced in unbricking my MyBookLive. Thanks to WD I’ve been learning a lot about Linux, EXT Filesystems, I was able to recover 300 GB of deleted files, I know how to use SSH, I meanwhile even know some Linux commands by heart. :smiley:

For everybody who has to unbrick their  MyBookLive, here’s help:

http://community.wdc.com/t5/My-Book-Live/GUIDE-How-to-unbrick-a-totally-dead-MBL/td-p/435724

hahahahhahahaha i couldn’t agree more i knew nothing about linux, that is untill i bought a mybooklive.

Nice. Thank you the new stuff works. The old stuff was ok as I found it. I figured that a flashing green light was more due to an errant Mac. But I could be wrong on that just as I’ve been sent all over the system by posts, some offering extreme solutions. I wish WD would better manage their troubleshooting knowledgebase. 

after update it my MBL can’t connect to my laptop direct or via router…
it keep asking for username and password if i wanna mapping the device…
anyone can help me??

What does it mean that when I tick the ‘Enable Remote Access’ box I can’t seem to establish a connection.

It just keeps saying “Connecting” “Trying to establish a remote access connection”.

Any ideas?

Ok, since Saturday two problems (old friends) occur:

1. Still MBL connects only occasionally to the cloud. Either “Connected (Relay connection established)” or “Cannot establish remote access connection”. Once, it was in a very good mood and actually connected. But this is too unstable to be of any use.

2. Since Saturday, I did not see the drive go to sleep. Always green, often blinking and rumbling.

I believe that it’s hard to program such a device, but I cannot believe that you try for more than a year (FW 2.0 came out in July 11) and still fail. Can anyone help the poor guy who is in charge of firmware programming at WD? Is there no management in charge?

BTW, I am sick of it. I ordered a drive enclosure from a different manufacturer today. I will rip the drive out of the MBL and plant it in the new case. I hope that will end my troubles.

Good luck to you!

Hey Nick,

That is what I did over the weekend. Back to v1.5.1.07 and everything worked great. I may try  v1.5.1.6, but I’m nervous to change now unless the update to 1.5.1.6 gives me some reeal advanatages.

Thanks for all your help

You’re the man.

Cheers

Kev 

chuba wrote:

BTW, I am sick of it. I ordered a drive enclosure from a different manufacturer today. I will rip the drive out of the MBL and plant it in the new case. I hope that will end my troubles.

Good luck to you!

chuba, where are you located? I will take the MybookLive case and system board attached to the hard drive off your hands :slight_smile:

kev1975 wrote:

Hey Nick,

That is what I did over the weekend. Back to v1.5.1.07 and everything worked great. I may try  v1.5.1.6, but I’m nervous to change now unless the update to 1.5.1.6 gives me some reeal advanatages.

Thanks for all your help

You’re the man.

Cheers

Kev 

hey kev1975 

regarding your comment about possibly updating to 1.5.1.6 I just thought id let you know that is has a extremely high cpu usage problem from time to time, the only reason I use it is because I can’t seem to find a lower version of smartware.

best regards,

agustin

For those having remote access problems, it’s basically FUBARed and has been for awhile.  I’ve been told this is a server problem (which is possible), but then why does the release notes for this update claim to fix a remote access problem getting stuck in relay mode as opposed to direct mode?

There is a work around for this, but it is technically and requries SSHing into the drive as well as setting up your own scripts.  The good news is once you set it up, you don’t have to touch it again unless your IP address changes.

I’m surprised WD doesn’t put a higher priority on this since it generates a lot of traffic for them having everyone relaying through there servers.  It probably costs them a lot of money as well.  A drive in direct connection doesn’t use WD’s servers so it costs them nothing.

hello,

i have a lot of problem with this firmware ver.

how can i downgrade?

10X

ras81 wrote:

hello,

i have a lot of problem with this firmware ver.

how can i downgrade?

10X

I wouldn’t expect an answer, they refuse to even comment this question.

I am not upgrading to this f/w. I see that even this one is full of problems and beside that, it is only upgradeable through the UI and cannot be downloaded and installed by the user (either through UI or bu executing an upgrade script). I am sorry WD, this is the last time I will ‘accept’ a crappy f/w. Next time, I am selling this and getting a proper NAS enclosure.

WDTony wrote:

02.32.05-144 and 02.32.05-046 are equivalent. The 02.32.05-144 was the patch for those people that downloaded the firmware before we pulled it. You are up to date.

And yes - you can not manual update at this time. You will need to go into the dashboard and do a check for update if it hasn’t already detected the new firmware.

Looks like someone forgot to inform there support this:

[Deleted]

*Apparently I’m not allow to post emails on here, but the main theme was that 02.32.05-144 is  not the latest version and 02.32.05-046 is the newest version, Could WDtony clear this up with there support please?

The reply when I said I am all ready on 02.32.05-144 and that the forum says its the latest version was: along the lines of well it must be broken!

Also it appears the Timemachine issue has come back! My macbookpro informed me that I will have to create a new backup after verification!

WD made some server side changes to accept the commands the drive sends out to do a port forwarding test, so direct remote access should now work correcty.

I haven’t actually reverted my mods to test that, but I did verify that if the drive sends a command without an external ip address, the server now accepts it and detects the external ip address.

Hey WD,

Why don’t you have a read through all the posts on here of users experiencing nothing but BS issues with your crappy hdds and supposed networking devices and do something about it besides releasing failed updates. How bout you explain how we can possibly fix or troubleshoot our issues while (I assume) your developer are getting their act together?

This is beyond pathetic.

I’m starting a site just to warn people to stay away from your hardware all together. I’ll also be posting it on major forums here in Australia.

After reading these posts and seeing all of the people experiencing so many problems, I think I’ll take my 3TB MyBookLive back to Best Buy for a refund this weekend… This makes me sad because it looked like it was a good value. However, after copying tons of photos and other precious files, I attempted to run what should be a routine update. So much for the robust Linux OS!!! I am staying a loyal Windows fan (even with the new tablety interface and no start menu…at least it has some brick and mortar behind it and it isn’t open source crapware).

I have been selling and using hard disks since 1983 and I have seen Seagate and WD become the new version of other brands that are no longer with us due to horrible performance. If I could buy nothing but Japanese made hardware, I would do that, but even they have the Chinese rush this garbage out the door with a cheap price (<-- clearly at fault) and no support (well, with a low, low/cheap price what should we really expect, right?).

I guess I will go back to Windows shares and more 1TB drives. At least those work well for a while. Risking huge amounts of precious or irreplaceable data on a device like this doesn’t give me the “warm and fuzzy” feeling I need.

I hope that somebody at Western Digital contacts me about this so that I can, respectfully, give them more information about another product of theirs that failed miserably during the past year: A Velociraptor 600GB 10k RPM drive that suddenly began requiring checkdsk with every boot of Windows. It is a doorstop now.

Perhaps I should spend more money and get a reliable network device like the one my friend spent $500.00 for a couple of years ago made by a competitor.

Ciao!

Steve

chuba wrote:

Good luck to you!

I’m sick of it too.  I want to do exactly the same.  Chuba - if you ever come back to this forum please leave advice on how to do that.  Thanks

Afer updating on 02.32.05-046 Iam unable to ust my 3TB MyBookLive NAS for TimeMachine Backups - My Mac does not find it as Backup LW as it was configured before !!! . 

I can not konfigure it — no possebillities to step back … 

what a great **bleep** it this ???

how can i change the Firmware to previrious version that works ?

and please - an easy way - or Why do you think i use a Mac?

Hi all,

I did the upgrade but since that time the movies that I have stores on my device are not recognized on other devices. In the concole my movies are shown, but not if I try to access them via DLNA apps like MediaConnect or FlexPlayer on iPad (error message there: “no contents shared - no album metadata available”)  or the Vodadafone Media Manager (VF banded TWONKY Manager - since myBook live update the application crashes on startup).

I tried to rebuild the TWONKY database, but no success.

When I tried to use the “automatic support” option including system diagnosis in the my book live web console, this also did not work (error message: “There was a problem processing your request: 
Class.WD_WebToCaseController.init: line 78, column 1”).

Before the firmware upgrade I could see my movies on my iPad and could also play them.

What can I do to get this back?

Thanx for your support

Joachim