New Release - Firmware Version 02.02.02-020 for My Book Live (8/31/11)

Thanks. Will give the update a try. Just that people are posting a fair share of issues and it gives me the shivers. I got a fair bit on my MBL.

WDTony wrote:

I believe all the standby issues have been resolved. All my drives that I previously had issues with go into standby, so if it is not, it is likely that something is accessing your box (Media Indexing, Photo transcoding, open browser with our dashboard).

I encountered a problem.

Thought I would turn off all the services and then reboot my MBL. On reboot the Dashboard UI is not accessible. The IP is allocated dynamically but the IP is reserved on the router so the IP stays the same.

Luckily I have kept SSH enabled so had to download te update file to the Public share and initiate the update by executing the firmware update by file script.

NAS:/DataVolume/cache# . /usr/local/sbin/updateFirmwareFromFile.sh /DataVolume/shares/Public/apnc-020202-020-20110825.deb
basename: invalid option -- 'b'
Try `basename --help' for more information.
version_newfile=020202020
version_current=020106026

Now…  What is basename. Why did it fail to execute?  From the colour of the LED and the hard drive sounding busy I am assuming at the time I post this that the updatre is in progress.  I’m keeping the SSH session open during the update in-case closing the interactive sessions also terminates the update.

Why would a simple reboot kill the Dashboard UI?

EDIT: Luckily the update using updateFirmwareFromFile.sh worked and the Dashboard UI began working again under the current firmware. Still, after a reboot why did the Dashboard UI die after a reboot?

Yup. I’m happy. Thanks.  :slight_smile:

Sep 8 12:50:26 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 8 12:51:28 localhost logger: exit standby after 62
Sep 8 13:02:32 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 8 17:56:57 localhost logger: exit standby after 17665

I like that the time standby is invoked is now logged.  :smiley:

I know this is now history because I updated the firmware by invoking the script directly as after a reboot the Dashboard UI dissapeared. I rebooted the MBL prior to the update to get the MBL into a more known state as it has been on for quite a number of days.  What caused the Web UI to vanish aster a reboot of the previous firmware?

(PS: Only change I make is to /etc/vsftpd.conf.)

Found a Web UI bug.

1. Login to the Web UI
  2. Click once on the status bar showing drive usage.
  3. Click on “Settings”

“Please Waiting” appears and then the login screen is shown and not the settings options.

After installing the update i cant get to the dashboard anymore.

My browser: You don’t have permission to access /UI on this server

Any suggestions?

Thanks

when try to access the UI from an internet connection using a dyndns.I receive below error message, please help ! thanks !

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /UI/ on this server.

"Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) DAV/2 PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny9 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8m Server at abc.bbb.com Port 80

This is because, in Western Digital’s wisdom, they decided to remove this facility without asking anyone. I’m in the same boat as you. Was useful to be able to easily configure MY NAS(!) from a remote location and now I have to jump through technical hoops to do the same.

As soon as I find the configuration file that I can tweak to bring back this useful functionality then I’ll be posting the solution on here.  I think I’ve already found it but not experimented yet. I need to be sure that what I will need to change is not going to break anything.  On the previous firmware a simple reboot killed access to the Dashboard UI from anywhere!  Luckily I has SSH access enabled to did the firmware update to the current firmware by invoking the update from file script and that brought everything back to life.

Life777 wrote:

when try to access the UI from an internet connection using a dyndns.I receive below error message, please help ! thanks !

Forbidden

You don’t have permission to access /UI/ on this server.

"Apache/2.2.9 (Debian) DAV/2 PHP/5.2.6-1+lenny9 with Suhosin-Patch mod_ssl/2.2.9 OpenSSL/0.9.8m Server at abc.bbb.com Port 80

EDIT: I’ll give WD2go another try but I had a warning (can’t remember under what circumstances) that the link to my NAS was to be unencrypted (but then I do use FTP) and I don’t think (I stand to be corrected) there is no facility to manage users, shares and other NAS features through WD2go. I know I can get past this using SSH and SOCKS. but it’s a small job to set-up and take down the necessary configuration.

hi,

i purchased the 3TB version and installed the latest firmware, but my drive wont sleep, it seem monitorio.sh puts it to sleep and after one minute its back on, any ideas ? 

the drive spins down and immediately starts spinning again, in the log it you can see the 60 seconds it need to complete the start (my standby timout it set to 10 minutes)

Sep 12 23:36:10 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 12 23:37:13 localhost logger: exit standby after 63
Sep 12 23:48:22 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 12 23:49:23 localhost logger: exit standby after 61

i also tried to unplug the lan cable, didn’t work…

ps.

also every time monitorio.sh  is executet, the drive makes a access noise, would be great to disable this little drive access

greeetings thomas

I see Tony’s confusion.

Sep 12 14:55:31 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 12 17:23:34 localhost logger: exit standby after 8883
Sep 12 17:35:40 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 12 17:55:19 localhost logger: exit standby after 1179
Sep 12 18:06:28 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 12 23:06:51 localhost logger: exit standby after 18023
Sep 13 01:50:33 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 13 01:51:55 localhost logger: exit standby after 82
Sep 13 02:03:02 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 13 02:27:14 localhost logger: exit standby after 1452
Sep 13 02:38:18 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 13 04:56:52 localhost logger: exit standby after 8314
Sep 13 05:07:56 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 13 11:24:15 localhost logger: exit standby after 22579
Sep 13 11:35:22 localhost logger: Enter standby
Sep 13 11:46:57 localhost logger: exit standby after 695

… but I do admit that at the moment on my NAS the iTunes, Twonky media server and remote access are turned off.  So if my NAS does prove that it does go to sleep.

I just updated firmware-maybe to this version, maybe to another, my drive did it automatically.

I have the white 500gb mybook world edition with blue ring lights.

I followed all directions on this site exactly, insluding turning off all access permissions for all shares and users. I stopped the wdanywhere service, and then told the device to update firmware. 

it found newer firmware (i didn’t notice if it had a version # or not) and then began the process of updating itself.

About 15 mins in, the browser window went dead, and sure enough the dirve lights were out (as expected) and i figured we were actually doing the install as advised.

however the device didn’t power back on and its been more than a day now.

the drive is spinning and the box is warm, so something should be happening, but i can’t access the drive. it doesn’t try to find an ip address from my router, and i can’t get to it at all.

I also figured out that my nice 3 yr warranty ran out 2 months ago.

I am hoping that maybe one of you guys or WD has some ideas. 

I did finally unplug the drive after about 30 hours so i could try a factory reset.

Drive is still spinning up when powered on, but no lights at all on the front since the middle of the firmware upgrgade.

And still not existing on the local network.

Please help. My wife will kill me when I tell her about our “shiny $200 plug-in brick”

Thanks

Richard

Richard, you’ve posted your query in the wrong thread and I think you need to calll W.D. technical support to resolve this problem.

@Myron

Thanks, I realize now that my device is not the version referenced in this thread. I did email WD but posted here in hopes of some more immediate help. Searching through all the threads and even online, I haven’t found many references to folks bricking their drive with the firmware, so I also wanted to get my experiene out there for others.

Hopefully something positive will happen, and i’ll update my experience.

Richard

I’m assuming if there is SSH access to the internal operating system then you either don’t know how to turn this on, so have not turned it on?  I say as if this facility is enabled then I have figured out how to perform a factory of the MyBook Live without having to lose all the user data.  It might be possible to do this with yours but if you don’t know how to enable SSH access or have not already done this then you may have to return your NAS back to W.D.

Usually there are ways to de-brick a W.D. NAS but it means opening it up, attaching the drive to a computer that can read/write Linux partitions, make the necessary changes and then reassemble the NAS.

There is, unfortunatly, a MAJOR design flaw with W.D. NAS’s. They lack a physical button or switch that will reset and revert the NAS to a previous known and working firmware.  LaCie NAS’s have this facility.  During an update on my simple LaCie 500Gb NAS that went wrong, the NAS became completly bricked. Solution: Pull power, re-apply power, turn switch on and within 3 seconds turn off. Turn back on and wehay! All working and no data lost.

Alas, not the case with W.D.  On the MyBook Live the reset switch only resets the networking parameters to DHCP working, wipes the admin password and resets Linux’s root’s user password to welc0me.

Recently a simple reboot of my NAS killed the web interface. Because SSH was enabled I could do the upgrade, get the web interface back, not lose any data and not have to send the NAS back to W.D.

It’s a good device but just worrying that when something goes wrong the prospects of getting it working again can be very slim.  :cry:

As posted in another thread, I have not been able to update the firm ware on my MyBook Live. I have tried to check for updates and to manual import the downloaded firmware. Each time, all I get is “Please Wait” and it seems to hang for ever. I have unplugged the NAS a few times but I still have not yet been able to upgrade the firmware.

Any suggestions?

hi 

Did you able to resolve the issue.  my WD book live is almost dead. only SSH working. Let me know if you got some solution to  reinstall firmware.

Regards,

Surendra

http://mybookworld.wikidot.com/forum/t-368098/debricking-script-that-can-keep-data

Not sunctioned by WD, but appears to work. Use your own judgement.

The update disables public keys for ssh. But nfs started working more stable, never crashed since update. It’s my first update, sadly that all my settings (/etc/* /etc/rc2.d/* /etc/default/* /root/.*) & installed additional packages (mc, transmission, perl modules, munin) wiped, so people, backup your _system_ changes before update.

I’ve set up public keys auth for ssh and locked root account. That was a surprise, when my /root/.ssh/authorized_keys was wiped. Happily reset button _indeed_ works.

Thanks the the script adachim but I still think whoever designed the MyBook Live needs their heads examining.  Even though there is an interesting software mechanism using two partitions as a RAID then during the upgrade this is used to either accept or reject an upgrade is good, the problem still exists where the the upgrade is accepted by the software upgrade script but the upgrade screws up. By that time the previous Linux installation is replaced so, unfortunately, the drive is bricked.

By rights, within the MyBook Live’s BIOS there should be a boot strap loader that can replace the operating system BEFORE it boots up from the hard disc.

I have a LinSys router where a upgrade went horribly wrong and it became really seriously bricked.  Didn’t throw it away and then find out there is something LinkSys put in where you could start the router in a sort of safe mode and all it did was put a TFTP server listening on the first port of the 8-port switch.  Sent the firmware to the router that way, which then it rebooted and guess what?  The router came back to life!

Should I have designed the MyBook Live’s disaster recovery facilities that badly then I believe I would have sacked myself from my own job.

Tony, if you’re reading this, ain’t a dig at you!  The designers of the MyBook Live made a monumental mistake with the design of this device.  (Then again, when I dig about inside the Linux OS I make sure I don’t change anything that would prevent the upgrade taking place.)  Still, a puzzle why the Dashboard UI (on the previous firmware) became broke and vanished after a simple reboot.  If it was not for SSH being enabled I would have either had to use this de-bricking script or send the unit back to W.D.  That’s not a very good situation.

Granted that it is a fast unit but next time I hunt for a NAS I’ll be looking for one which has excellent disaster recovery facilities. Especially recovering from failed firmware updates that would potentially brick the NAS.

Can’t something be done with the functionality of the reset button within the next OS update that can be used to de-brick an MBL with a faulty firmware update?

Yes. When the official frmware update is performed then the entire Lunix NAS OS is replaced outright. Anything you may wish to keep can be copied to /DataVolume which is not touched by the official firmware upgrade procedure. apart from the upgrade scripts using /DataVolume/cache as storage hold the DEB archive and hold the update’s log file.> * * *
romanr wrote:

The update disables public keys for ssh. But nfs started working more stable, never crashed since update. It’s my first update, sadly that all my settings (/etc/* /etc/rc2.d/* /etc/default/* /root/.*) & installed additional packages (mc, transmission, perl modules, munin) wiped, so people, backup your _system_ changes before update.

I’ve set up public keys auth for ssh and locked root account. That was a surprise, when my /root/.ssh/authorized_keys was wiped. Happily reset button _indeed_ works.

How long should this update normally take? I started mine more than an hour ago and it still doesn’t come to an end. Is that normal? Or is something broken?

Thanks

FRAC42