New device not updating? Stuck on 7.16.0-220

Hello! I just got a My Cloud Home for Christmas and been trying to set it up the past few days. I am running into an issue where my device is stuck on 7.16.0-220 and no update is being pushed. I see the latest version is 8.13.1-102 but despite my attempts, my brand new device is still stuck on 7.16.0-220.

I have tried:

• Resetting My Cloud Home
  • Resetting router
  • Resetting My Cloud Home after resetting router

Here is a copy of my OTA log:

The main reason I am trying to get it to 8.13.1 is because I am trying to use the live TV feature on Plex but the 7.16 firmware comes with an outdated version of plex that doesn’t support it. Updating my firmware to 8.13 would update plex to the appropriate version.

Thank you for any help!

Your OTA history suggests your MCH only has been updated to 220 a few hours ago, so ‘stuck’ may be the wrong word.

OTA history:
Fw_updater version 2.7.3-2 called at 2022-12-31.02:53:50
from 101 to 220
OTA PASSED

It takes a week or two before it will update, sometimes shorter. It may help NOT to overload the MCH storage by dumping a few TB onto the drive right now before the major version upgrade to 8.13 as the old filesystem is very inefficient and may cause a delay in the upgrade.

@Chibears85

My Cloud Home Firmware Update Instructions (wd.com)

1 Like

Thanks to cat0w for the link and good info. Often the MCH will not do back to back OTA firmware updates within hours of each other. There was usually a built in delay period of a few days before the next update even if the next FW was available.

The dates below showed that the updates occurred about 7 days apart, even though in the MCH FW Update Instruction page it suggested it could update within a few hours.

Thank you for the information. I am freaking out that it’s been 2 days and still no update. I just bought the device and just found out that the software will end of life soon. Also, there is no way to create a link to share files directly from Finder. I read somewhere on here that it is capable to do. As well as keep the files on the device or in the cloud. And the Time Machine backup is on the SMB protocol and publicly accessible. And there is literally nothing to config for this device. If I understood anything wrong please educate me. Thank you.