Network streaming problems with WDTVLIVE (Jerking)

Hello everybody!

A lot of DVD rips jerk on WDTVLIVE on network streaming and also directly through USB on automatic video-resolution mode.

All movies play without any problems if I play the movie from a USB harddisk.

All .mkv and BluRay movies play without any problems on automatic mode through USB and network TOO! So I don’t think that this can be a router or bandwith problem.

I have only problems with streaming .VOB (DVD) files.

I use the LinkSys WRT54GL Router and the WDTVLIVE is connected to it with a cable. I have the actual Firmware version 1.04.22_V.

Can anyone explain me why I experience those problems or help me?

This is a known issue and well discussed on these boards. Its acknowledged by WD in the latest firmware release notes.

General Info:
Known issue with playback of .VOB files over network share. 

http://www.wdc.com/wdproducts/updates/?family=wdfwdtv_live

Hi,

so this means that WD knows about this issue and that this (probably) will be solved with one of the next updates?

Would it help if I downgrade to an older Firmware?

Best Greets

The choppy / stuttering video problem may not be the fault of the WDTV live box. There have been numourous reports on various video editing and Windows sites about stuttering / choppy video ocurring when played on a Windows box. I posted the following under General: Windows 7 Codecs - Choppy Video Problems. http://www.codecguide.com/windows7_preferred_filter_tweaker.htm A number of people have been experiencing choppy video when using Windows 7. I tried the codec filter tweaker and solved a few problems with choppy video. The program may be useful to other users experiencing choppy video problems. (end of post) Whatever is causing the stuttering / choppy vob video output to DLNA devices is not network card related but buggy DLNA software or buggy codecs or a combination of both. M2TS video streaming is a diffent and separate issue. Serviio 0.5 is very buggy; Seviio 0.51 fixed the vob stuttering / choppy problems. I converted about 20 DVD titles from vob to mpg using a freeware program called VOB2MPG and copied them from my main computer to a Seagate 1TB usb drive. I plugged the drive into an emachines Intel Atom N450 notebook. The notebook will stream the mpg movies over a cat 6 cable to the WDTV live and play them without stuttering / choppy problems. According to the information posted on various video editing sites a vob file is just a mpg movie file with aditional editing information. http://www.womble.com/support/FAQ09.html The vob stuttering / choppy issue may be simply bad codecs or confiicting codecs. A number of sites have recommended uninstalling every codec installed on Windows, using a registery cleaner to clear any registery issues and re-installing the latest codecs directly from the codec compilers server and not from a general download site.

I just installed Firefox 4. There seems to be a fault with Firefox 4 formatting. For some unknown reason my previous post formatted ok in the post message box but not in the forum site. I tried to reformat and repost but Firefox 4 returned an error.

cydox83 wrote:

Hi,

so this means that WD knows about this issue and that this (probably) will be solved with one of the next updates?

Would it help if I downgrade to an older Firmware?

Best Greets

Yes, you can roll back to 1.03.49 which is the latest firmware version without the VOB stuttering problem.

Hopefully, it will be fixed in the next firmware release, but this is not certain because the problem has been there with 1.04.10, 1.04.17, and 1.04.22 (showing that WD has released new firmware without fixing the VOB problem). WD staff has posted that they have found the cause of the VOB stuttering issue, so there is a better chance that it will be fixed in the next release.