Network shares not visible over Wireless, but visible over cable! HELP!

I had my WD TV LIVE connected over Ethernet cable to D-Link DSL- 2640T and my laptop running Vista over Wireless to the same router. I had a major problem my network shares not being visible, nor was USB drive at WD TV LIVE visible at my laptop. Then I happen to connect the laptop physically over Ethernet cable to the same router. I was able to see and stream media to the WD TV LIVE and I was also able to view the USB drive at WD TV LIVE from my laptop.

What’s the difference? Why it only works when my laptop is connected over Ethernet cable? Why it does not work when my laptop is connected over wireless? What can I do?

Please help!

Some research, please:

What IP address does your Laptop get when WIRED?

What IP address does your Laptop get when WIRELESS?

What IP address does your WDTV get?

IP address of Laptop when WIRED    >>  192.168.1.102

IP address of Laptop when WIRELESS   >> 192.168.1.100

IP address that WDTV get   >> 192.168.1.101

I just switched to a Linksys WAG120N router. still the same problem! :frowning:

HELP!

If you’re running Vista or 7, it could be that Windows is assigning a different Network Profile for Wired compared to Wireless.  A common case might be that WIRED is set to the HOME profile, and WIRELESS is set to Public.

By default, the Public profiles are more restrictive and will disable File Sharing and Network Discovery, both of which are required for the WDTV to work with shares.

Hey, it works now! I tottaly forgot about the Kaspersky firewall’s network settings! I had to change it’s network status from Public to Local. Helloooooo network shares!!! :smiley:

Thanks TonyPh12345!!!