Network shares does not appear! Vista, D-Link DSL-2640T

Hi guys, after reading almost all threads out of thousands over here, im frustrated and looking for help! After trying all the recommendations on the threads I red, I still couldn’t get my Windows Vista shared folders to appear on WD TV LIVE.

I have connected my WD TV Live by Ethernet wire to D-Link DSL-2640T, and I have connected my Vista laptop wirelessly to the same router on WIFI G. I do not have any problem accessing YouTube and Live365 on WD TV LIVE, which works flawlessly.

On Network and Sharing Center, I have Network Discovery to ON, File Sharing to ON, Public Folder Sharing OFF (I tried having that ON, but still no joy), Printer Sharing OFF, Password protected sharing OFF, Media Sharing ON with WDTVLIVE ticked green given permission to share media to it. And, just below these options there’s two links. When I click “Show me all the files and folders I am sharing” it shows me nothing. And when I click “Show me all the shared network folders on this computer” it shows me the folders I made to share. I have given file sharing permission level to “Everyone” on the shared folders, though it didn’t make any difference having “Everyone” removed for the result of “Show me all the shared network folders on this computer”.

I cannot get my shared folder to appear on WD TV Live. When I press ENTER on the WD TV Remote controller at Network shares, nothing happens at all. WD TV Live appears on Network window of my Vista laptop; I can’t open it and gain access to the USB drives I have connected to it. I do have “Share WDTV on your network” set to ON at my WD TV LIVE.

I also have added a “!” before each shared folder name as another thread recommended. Also I read a thread which one guy had a same kind of a problem, and said he mentioned that he got it fixed by himself changing “DHCP NodeType from peer-peer to Broadcast” (Ref: http://community.wdc.com/t5/Networking/Still-cannot-access-Win-Vista-network-shares/m-p/17766#M1379) But I cannot find such “NodeType” option on my DSL-2640T router.

Please help! I would really appreciate it!

Welcome to the forums.

Make sure your shared PC workgroup is named “WORKGROUP” (yeah, I know).  If you make this change, also reset the Live back to factory conditions and then try connecting (and when you do so, give it some time – it usually takes a few minutes for the Live to be able to see shares after it first comes back on).

Hi Mike, my PC workgroup is WORKGROUP by default. I never changed it. And As you said I did a factory rest on it’s latest firmware 1.02.21 and I let it be online for like 45 mins, still I can’t access my PC’s network shares at WD TV LIVE nor I can’t access any drives connected to it via my PC.

FYI, my PC keeps saying “Found new hardware” and install drivers for it. I don’t know whether that is necessary?

Im confused. Anything to do with my router??

Could it be the router?  Yeah, but I kind of doubt it (but it doesn’t hurt to investigate if you have the latest firmware for it).

Net shares are *sometimes* a PITA – while it looks like you’ve dotted all the i’s there can still be some things that can trip you up.  Make sure Windows Live ID assistant isn’t installed (that apparently stops it from working properly).  Do you actually SEE your computer from the Live?  If so, do you get to the part when it sees the shares, or does it just stubbornly refuse to show them? 

And pardon me (because I don’t remember) but do you have any other machines attached to your net?  If so, you should see if they can see the shared drives.  There is also some theory that it makes a difference what order you turn everything on –  (the prevailing philosphy is to first start your server, then the Live).  If your server is on all the time you should try turning it off first, turn the Live off, then turn them back on in that order (server, then Live).

The “found new hardware” *may* be an issue as well – try a lookup here to see some of the other threads that report this.  It’s not a Good Thing, but if memory serves I don’t think there’s any solution for it.

And the disclaimer – I know NOTHING about Vista (I skipped it because of the horrendous problems – went from XP to Win 7 and am glad I did).

praveen wrote:

Hi Mike, my PC workgroup is WORKGROUP by default. I never changed it. And As you said I did a factory rest on it’s latest firmware 1.02.21 and I let it be online for like 45 mins, still I can’t access my PC’s network shares at WD TV LIVE nor I can’t access any drives connected to it via my PC.

FYI, my PC keeps saying “Found new hardware” and install drivers for it. I don’t know whether that is necessary?

Im confused. Anything to do with my router??

The found new hardware is a vista thing and can be ignored as there are no drivers necessary or indeed available.

Surprise surprise!!! :smiley:

I physically connected my laptop via Ethernet cable to the router, just hoping to upgrade the firmware. And BANG! There were the network shares that I was looking for in WD TV LIVE!  I had connected WD TV LIVE via Ethernet all times and the problem was that me having Wireless connection to my laptop on the same router!

But still, it should work that way right? What could be the problem???