I’m having troubles trying to recover data from a WD My Book 1 TB Pro Edition ( http://support.wdc.com/product/download.asp?groupid=103&lang=en))
This is the full story:
- I bought this HD 3 years ago, and have been using it without problems… but last week it turned off and never started again.
- After several tries, I decided to remove the HD from the case, and try to acces the drive directly.
- So, I bought a USB to SATA cable. One like this: http://www.asia.ru/images/target/photo/50922846/USB_to_IDE___SATA_Cable.jpg.
- With that cable, I can hear the Drive starting and working :)… so it seems to be alive.
- When I connect it to my Windows 7 laptop through the USB port, Windows see it (I can see it through the connected USB devices), but windows is not assgining a letter to it.
- I have been googling about this, and tried diferent things, but no one worked:
- I connected it to a Win XP and saw the same result
- I see the disk through Disk MAnagement (diskmgmt.msc) but can’t assign a letter. Also, I can see that it has 4 different partitions (this is new to me…I thought that the disk had only one partition)
- Im thinking about File System… so downloaded an Ubuntu VM, run this using
VMWare, but the USB does not appear on /image/ (Im not sure if I can do something to force to mount the unit… and see if I can get the data from a Linux environment)…
- In some places says that WD encrypts the data by hardware (that I’m not using right now). I expect to not be the case
- Now, I’m not sure what should I do…I need to recover some data from there!!
Anyone has a sugestion?
Thanks in advance