Need help with accessing/recovering/reformatting WD Caviar Blue / SE / SE16 (SATA II) internal drive

I have a 2-year old Vista 32-bit system with an IDE main drive, and two  SATA drives. The whole purpose of this system is for the main OS to host VMWare 6.5 and the VMs are on partitions of the SATA drives (2 identical SATA drives have 4 partitions each, no RAID).

Over a short period of time I started getting lag issues, and finally figured out that my SATA drives were getting corrupted.

I was able to access one of the SATA from another PC, and reformat each partition. The drive now works on the original PC again.

The other drive, however, I can’t get my XP box to recognize using an external SATA-to- USB cable (the same one that worked for the other drive, and both SATA drives are the same make/model).

I’m willing to completely reformat the 2nd SATA drive, but is there anything else I can do to try to force a PC to recognize it so I can actually format it? I suspect the drive itself is still functional and it is just corrupt data (FAT or whatever), but I don’t have enough expertise to know what else to try, to access the drive.

I suspect my life will be easier if I can reformat and keep using it, as opposed to having to deal with an RMA process…

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Besides updating your bios, replacing the cables, checking the jumpers. There’s not much you can do. I’ll suggest you to format the drive and if does not work then replace the drive.

IS the drive detected by the BIOS, Disk Management or Device Manager? If a drive is not detected, at the point that cannot be formatted, you may have it replaced.