I have just bought a Western Digital My Book Live 3Tb NAS drive, but it won’t backup my PC. The backup stopped after 310Mb and the drive is no longer visible in the WD software – although Windows Explorer can still see and amend all of the data on the drive.
- I installed the software that comes with the hard drive (“ Setup.exe” and “WD SmartWare Setup (x64).msi”)
- I started a backup using the backup tab but this stopped part-way through
- The drive is no longer visible in SmartWare and the Backup and Restore tabs are now greyed out. SmartWare only shows locally attached drives.
- The shortcut menu for the WD Quick View icon in the system tray only shows SmartWare – there is no mention of any NAS drive
- If I run Discovery it can no longer find the drive
- The drive and all the data remain accessible through Windows Explorer (both as a network device and as a Z: drive mapping). SyncToy synchronisation continues to work fine
- I logged a call for this ( ) referring to the Backup/Restore tabs being greyed out on the 4th of July but have not even had the courtesy of a reply
- I logged a second call on 13th of July to report that WD SmartWare can no longer see the drive. I have not yet had an answer
Some background information:
- The drive appeared to be constantly busy, even after a reset and with the Ethernet cable disconnected, so I carried out a factory reset and long diagnostic test . No change
- I have an HP Pavilion P6-2175ea desktop PC running Windows 7.
- My Book Live firmware rev is 02.11.12-060
- I have another WD external drive on my machine – a 750gB My Book connected via USB
- The hard drive makes an occasional clunking noise and seems to be reluctant to sleep. I very rarely see the blue led