Mybook 8TB alarming temperature

Hello !
I recently bought Mybook 8TB drive model : WDC WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0
Although I’ve placed it in a non crowded area upon a shelf, It reached 62 Degrees celsius upon file copying and around 58 Degrees when idle, Which looked alarming to me. (Room temperature is about 26 Degrees celsius)
I’ve placed a 120mm fan in the back of the drive, Which lowered them to about 53 Degrees while copying files.
It seems like a design problem from my years of experience as a computer technician, But I would appreciate more info from experienced users please.
Just for reference - I have 2 more buffalo 8TB drives (Seagate drives) on the same shelf as the WD drive, Which never passed 47 degrees while copying files, And 44 degrees when idle, And another 4TB 7200 HGST drive in external open usb 3 enclosure that reached a maximum of 46 Degrees.

Thank you

Thank you

1 Like

Hi,
Thank you Mj for your answer.
I found this data page, Which the temps I’ve mentioned seems ok for this model : Specifications of WDC WD80EDAZ-11TA3A0 Drive with 81.00A81 Firmware
I wished WD were more clear in their specs about the INTERNAL operating temperature of those drives, But I guess since they change the internal drive model every now and then, They won’t give that information.

1 Like

Thank you again Mj for the calrifications.
I’ve been using this drive for about a week now, And since the temps for the last few days are less than 55 deg with the fan I’ve added, I think I can say I’m within the drive safe temp limits.

1 Like