My Pioneer Blu-Ray Player Doesn't Recognise Newer WD Passport Drives

In the past 4 months, I have purchased two 2TB WD Passport drives. One was bought just before Christmas. The other, 6 days ago on March 18th. My Pioneer Blu-Ray player does not recognize either of them. With the first one, I just thought there may be glitch in the drive & I let it slide. When the second new drive wasn’t recognized either, I knew something was up. I tried four older WD 2TB drives, and they are recognized instantly! I thought it may have been something with the filing system, except when I checked, both newer & the four older drives are all NTFS. I’m absolutely stumped. Can anybody help. Thanks.

There’s 2 Types of Partition Tables (not to be confused with File System Formats eg. NTFS, FAT32 etc)

The new drives will be using GPT (GUID Partition Table)

The old drives will be using MBR (Master Boot Record)

Most older devices will only support MBR … which has a Max Capacity limit of 2TB

GPT Partitions support up to and greater than 2TB, but, most older devices don’t support it. eg. DVD Players, Blu Ray Players, Windows XP 32-Bit etc etc.

Solution: Backup any data on the new 2TB drives and then …

Re-format them to NTFS and select MBR Partition Table during the reformat process.

1 Like

Interesting. I’ll give that a try. Thank You, JoeySmyth.

That might explain why my previous Pioneer Blu-Ray Player, which is a model or two newer from the current one(which I bought on eBay two weeks ago after the previous one died) was able to read up to 5TB. I did know the current one was only up to 2TB.