My passport

So my passport is broken I drop it and when. Plug it in to my computer it show up at local drive I can’t click it nothing what do I do

Hi @Garette ,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:

If your external hard drive (like WD My Passport) is physically damaged due to a drop, and it’s not functioning properly when connected to your computer, here are some steps you can take:

1. Check Physical Connections:

• Ensure that the USB cable and the port on both the external drive and the computer are working correctly. Try using a different USB cable and port to eliminate potential issues.
  2. Listen for Unusual Sounds:

• If you hear clicking or grinding noises from the drive, it could indicate a mechanical failure. In such cases, it’s crucial to stop using the drive immediately to prevent further damage.
  3. Use a Different Computer:

• Try connecting the external drive to a different computer to see if the issue persists. This helps determine whether the problem is with the drive itself or the computer.
  4. Check Disk Management (Windows)

• In Windows, right-click on “This PC” or “My Computer,” select “Manage,” and go to “Disk Management.” Check if the external drive is recognized and if it has a drive letter assigned. In Mac, open “Disk Utility” to see if the drive is detected.
    • If the drive appears in Disk Management or Disk Utility but is not assigned a drive letter or recognized properly, you may need to assign a drive letter or format the drive.
  5. Data Recovery Software:

• If the drive is recognized but inaccessible, you can try using data recovery software. Some tools might help recover data even if the drive is not functioning correctly.
  6. Professional Data Recovery Services:

• If the data on the drive is crucial and the drive is physically damaged, consider consulting professional data recovery services. They have the expertise and equipment to recover data from damaged drives.
  7. Check Warranty:

• If the drive is still under warranty, contact the manufacturer’s support for guidance on potential replacement or repair options.
  8. Seek Professional Help:

• If you’re not comfortable handling the troubleshooting steps yourself, or if the data on the drive is extremely valuable, consider seeking help from a professional data recovery service.
      Remember, if there are physical symptoms like unusual sounds, it’s important not to attempt DIY fixes that might exacerbate the problem. Seek professional assistance if needed. If the drive is under warranty, contact the manufacturer for guidance on warranty claims and possible replacements.