My Passport

My Passport purchased new last November (2021) now shows 100% disk usage in Task Manager. In terms of data on the drive, mostly photos, it’s between .67 and .75 full. When I first plug it into my laptop, it’s fine and then loads up to 100% disk usage with no action from me. When I try to eject it, I get the message that it’s in use even though I close everything.

I use three other WD external drives and they are working fine, no problems. Disk scan and repair in Tools in Properties on this disk says there are no problems. When I first plug it in, Diskcheck shows no problems.

I’ve tested the USB port with other drives and they’re fine. All drivers up to date. Still running Windows 10 on Asus Zenbook four years old.

I’m afraid to keep plugging it in to troubleshoot because I was gearing up to back up the 2.8T on it but haven’t yet.

So. Is this fixable, if so how, and what’s the best way to get my data backed up from it?

Thank you.

Hi @LaurieH,

Have you opened a Support Case? If not opened, for more information, please contact the WD Technical Support team for the best assistance and troubleshooting:
https://support-en.wd.com/app/ask