My Passport Wireless Pro Cannot Download Plex

E: Updated title for clarity. I can connect it to the local network, have it mapped to a drive letter on my computer, but when I try to download Plex through the “/mypassport/UI” admin panel, it fails with the error below.

I mean specifically that it can’t connect to the internet. I can connect to it to the local WiFi, and can access its dashboard over that network, but as soon as I try to download Plex or check for updates, it fails with “Internet access required to install Plex Media Server. Please connect the My Passport Wireless Pro to a wireless network with Internet connection and try again.” I have tried resetting it, several times, but this problem persists. Checking the router’s dashboard, the MPWP appears to be working properly, and I can’t see any filtering that might cause such a problem. Please advise?

You need to follow steps in the complete user manual to “connect to internet” properly. You just can’t hope it connects.

Briefly, you use the dashboard to connect the MPW internal wi-fi to your home network (and,of course, the internet is there, too) Once you have the MPW connected to the home network you can download Plex and get the updates you need via the internet.

The user manual could be a pdf on your drive, and if you cannot find it you can download it from WD Support. In any event, the manual is an essential reference for setting up and using this product.

Briefly, you use the dashboard to connect the MPW internal wi-fi to your home network (and,of course, the internet is there, too) Once you have the MPW connected to the home network you can download Plex and get the updates you need via the internet.

You mean like this? Or is there another switch I still need to flip to get it really connected to the home wi-fi?

Not exactly. Like I said, it is in the manual. Your screen shot says you have no internet access.which means your My Passport is NOT connected to your router. You have to select your router and sign into it with your password, When you are connected you will be told you are connected. On the Home screen of the dashboard you will see a graphic that shows you are connected to your router and you are also connected to My Passport.

[quote=“mike27oct, post:4, topic:219002, full:true”]
Not exactly. Like I said, it is in the manual. Your screen shot says you have no internet access.which means your My Passport is NOT connected to your router. You have to select your router and sign into it with your password, When you are connected you will be told you are connected. On the Home screen of the dashboard you will see a graphic that shows you are connected to your router and you are also connected to My Passport.
[/quote]You mean like the big blue checkmark on that image, next to Price_Nation? Or the one on this image next to Price_Nation_5Ghz? Or this screen on the router saying MyPassport is connected to it? It is definitely connected to the network, in the way the manual suggests, but it still can’t connect to the internet.

Last night’s photo shows a check mark next to your router name, but just clicking it does not make things happen. You have to double click it and you will be asked to enter the password for your router, then it will take a few minutes to join the router and MPW. It will tell you if you successfully connected. This is quite easy to do, so read it again until you “get it”.

Last night’s photo shows a check mark next to your router name, but just clicking it does not make things happen. You have to double click it and you will be asked to enter the password for your router, then it will take a few minutes to join the router and MPW. It will tell you if you successfully connected. This is quite easy to do, so read it again until you “get it”.

According to the manual, it’ll tell me I’ve successfully connected by putting a blue checkmark next to the network name, which means we’re right back at the beginning. Hell, my computer is connected to the MPW’s wifi network, it’s connected to the home wifi, and I’m connected to the internet enough to make this post, but the MPW still insists it doesn’t have internet access.

Your PC is connected to internet of course, But the MPW is not connected to the home network. You were never asked to type in the network password in the Dashboard setting up of the network connection for the MPW. I have set up this step many times and helped others. Yes, put a blue check in the right box, but you then have to either double click or press enter key to set up the connection for the next step…

Your PC is connected to internet of course, But the MPW is not connected to the home network. You were never asked to type in the network password in the Dashboard setting up of the network connection for the MPW. I have set up this step many times and helped others. Yes, put a blue check in the right box, but you then have to either double click or press enter key to set up the connection for the next step…

I was asked, actually, and I did give it the password for both of the networks on this router. Though, after resetting and going through setup again, I never actually got any confirmation that it successfully connected to the network. It’s been hung for the past 10 or 20 minutes on “Connecting to network, please wait. Connecting to network, please wait. Still connecting to network, please continue to wait.” Eventually it either fails, saying that a network is out of range, or I hit refresh and skip that step because it’s already connected to a network.

When you reset the device with two-button reset, the unit is at factory defaults and you have to set up again as if out of box new each time after you reset.

It helps when connecting to network that you have MPW away from PC and nearby electronics and MPW in same room as router. I like to use a tablet or phone for setup and not a PC. If unit hangs during connecting to network you need to try again, but reset is not necessary in most cases…

Alright, I was able to set the MPWP up through my phone, through the MyCloud app, and I have it sufficiently connected to my network that I can map it as a Z: drive in My Computer. I still get those errors when I try to download Plex through the “/mypassport/UI”, though.

Finally, got it connected!

As for Plex,I have not installed or used it on my MPW, although it is on my My Cloud NAS if I want to use it, but I rarely do. I have a great music app and video app for my iPad, plus have the My Cloud app I like better than Plex for playing media from the MPW

OK, so enjoy your new gadget.

Friend, I got this thing specifically because it would support Plex. If it cannot run Plex, I will return it and get a different device that will.