I have tried using the contact form on the Western Digital website twice now, but my emails must get sent to outer space or something because I never get a reply. Hopefully I’ll have more luck here.
I have a My Passport external hard disk (purchased in 2013, S/N WXU1CB1Z0083) that my MacBook no longer recognises. When I plug it into a USB port, the power light blinks white, but the drive does not show up in Finder. I have tried to find a solution to this problem, but I have not managed to find a fix. These are the things I’ve tried:
- I have tried using a different USB port on the same computer (i.e. I have tried to connect via both USB ports on my MacBook). No luck.
- I have tried to connect to my MacBook using a different cable. No luck.
- I have tried to connect to a different MacBook and to a Windows computer. No luck.
- I have opened the Disk Utility app on my MacBook, but the drive does not show up there either.
- I have opened the Mac System Profiler and looked under USB, where I can see a device called My Passport 0748.
- I have installed WD Drive Utilities. I can see the drive, but when I press the button for Drive status check, Quick drive test or Complete drive test, nothing happens.
Is there anything else I can try to fix the drive and/or retrieve the files on it?
Thank you in advance.